RACKHAM, Fred died 05 February 1903
Mr. Fred Rackham, a member of the last South Australian military contingent to South Africa, died in the Narracoorte Hospital on Thursday from typhoid, at the age of 22 years. He contracted the disease in Natal.
RADFORD, Jane died 02 January 1925
Another old pioneer in the person of Mrs David Radford (late of Glenora Station), passed away very suddenly at her residence, Aberdeen on Friday, January 2nd. The deceased lady was the only daughter of Mr and Mrs Geo Roberts and was born in Manchester, England, in 1846. Ten years later with her parents she arrived in this state, taking up their residence at Angaston, where they engaged in farming. In 1865 she married Mr. David Radford, who when the northern areas were first opened took up land near Quorn where they resided for about 15 years. In 1891 they came to reside in the Burra district, where, they remained until their deaths. Mrs Radford was closely connected with Redruth Methodist church from the time she came to reside in the town and was an ardent worker in all matters connected with the church especially the W.C.T.U. and Woman's Foreign Mission Auxiliary though never too robust and despite her age every movement pertaining to the welfare of humanity or the community had her practical sympathy and support. Her many kindly acts and thoughtfulness for others will long be remembered and her death sincerely mourned by a large circle of friends. The family comprises Mr S O Radford, South Africa Mrs J..G. Wardle, Leighton; Mr D H. Radford, Canegrass Station ; Mr G. L. Radford, Sydney, N.S.W., Mr M. A. Radford, Aberdeen ; Mr F. W. C. Radford; Gulnare ; there are also 13 grandchildren and two great grandchildren. The funeral took place on Saturday at Kooringa and was attended by a large number of friends. The Rev H. Alvey conducted the service and Messrs C. J, Pearce and son the funeral arrangements. Mr Radford died some years ago.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
RAMSAY, Ernest Pringle
Mr. Ernest Pringle Ramsay, who died at his home at St. Peters recently, aged 82, was a former Deputy Director of Posts and Telegraphs in SA. He worked for 56 years in the PMG Department, beginning as a telegraph messenger at Maitland, NSW in 1884, and became a telegraphist. He then became a clerk and was promoted to inspector and then assistant superintendent in the Mails
Branch in Melbourne. After service as Deputy Director of Posts and Telegraphs in WA he filled a similar position in SA in 1927, and was Deputy Director in SA until 1935, when he retired. He came out of retirement in 1941 to work as a telegraphist in the Adelaide GPO during the war years, and finally left the service in 1946.
RANDALL, James died 08 November 1901
Mr. James Randall who died at his residence, North-Eastern-road, Medindie, on Friday morning, was born in Gloucester, England, and arrived in South Australia in 1849. His first wife was a daughter of Mr. Garie, who was well known in this State in the early days. Mr. Randall established himself in business as a draper in Rundle-street, near Gawler-place, and was successful, but it was as a result of fortunate speculations in land that he was able to retire from, business many years ago.
He was one of the original members of the Hindmarsh-square Congregational Church, of which he was until recent years a most regular attendant. The funeral will leave his late residence for the North-road Cemetery on Saturday afternoon.
Headstone North Road Anglican Cemetery
RANFORD, Joseph Marmion died 04 August 1916
The parents of Sergeant J. M. Ranford 3rd Light Horse, have been officially notified that their son was killed between August 4 and 6. Sergeant Ranford was 34 years of age, and was well known all, over the West Coast, where he was stationed for more than 20 years. He was a fine horseman, a strong swimmer, and good all-round athlete. He served right through the South African war, in which he received a bullet wound on the head. Two other brothers are serving with the colours, one of whom was with him when he was killed in action. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Ranford, of Semaphore.
RANFORD, Octavius Edward died 07 June 1908
A colonist of 53 years has passed away the person of Mr. O. E. Ranford, whose death occurred on Sunday last, at the age
of 76 years. The deceased came to South Australia in 1856. In the early days his coaches were driven between Port Adelaide
and Semaphore, and in more recent years between East Adelaide and Adelaide., Mrs. Ranford predeceased him, but Mr. Ranford left a son (Mr. W. Ranford) and three daughters (Mrs. C. J. Greenhill, of Broken Hill; Mrs. G. A. Watson, Norwood; and Miss A. Ranford).
RANKIN, William Horatio died 07 July 1950
Mr. W. Rankine, who died at Port Broughton, was secretary of the Institute for a long period and had also been church warden at St. Phillip's Church for a record period. He was also associated with the local hospital and Masonic and Oddfellows' Lodges.
RAPHAEL, Simeon Keith died 09 November 1947
Mr. Keith S. Raphael, who died recently after a short illness, was well known in the motoring and motor boating world, and was a member of tbe Royal Yacht Squadron. He was proprietor of the Barossa Wine Vaults, Currie street, city. He was the younger son of Henry and Jessie Raphael, and was born at Glenelg 56 years ago. He was educated at Pulteney Grammar School and at Wesley College. Melbourne. Mr. Raphael leaves a widow, a brother, Sam, of Melbourne, and a sister, Mrs. O. Phillips, of Adelaide.
Headstone Currency Creek Cemetery
RASMUS fmly MUDGE ne CRAIG, Eliza Frances February 1844 - 04 October 1929
Mrs. Rasmus the oldest resident of Long Plains, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. D.J. Good, on October 4, at the age of 85. She was born at Morphett Vale, and was the fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Craig. She was married to Mr. Henry Thomas Mudge, of Noarlunga, in 1867. They engaged in farming in the north for five years and then opened a storekeeping, butchery and bakery business. Mr. Mudge died in 1880, and after carrying on the business for three years Mrs. Mudge married Mr. Henry Rasmus retired and made their home in Broken Hill. After her second husband's death in 1912, Mrs. Rasmus went to Long Plains to her daughter's home. Mrs. Rasmus was of a kindly disposition, and was beloved by all who knew her. The surviving children are Mr. A.E. Mudge (Port Pirie), Mrs. D.J. Good (Long Plains), and Mrs. A.H. Johnson (Calomba), and adopted son Mr. S.E. Mayes (Ucolta), a stepdaughter Mrs. H. Kutcher (Broken Hill) and a step son Mr. Fred Rasums (Terowie). There are 12 grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
RAUSCHENBACH, Benjamin died 30 May 1931
Mr. Benjamin Rauschenbach, who died at Glenelg, was born at Riednorhausen,Thurmigen, Germany, 78 years ago. In his youth he studied engineering, but turned later to surveying, and was attached to one of the parties engaged on the re-survey of Schleswig-Holstein at the close of the Franco-Prussian war. Later he came to South Australia and served an appointment in the Surveyor-General's Department in 1879. He retained this position until his retirement in 1924. His mathematical ability and scientific methods, applied principally to the production of hundred plans, enabled him to produce plans that were models of accuracy. Among his many hobbies were practical mechanics,astronomy,agriculture, and the study of languages. In 1914 he married the youngest daughter of the late Mr. E. V. Fischer, also of Glenelg. His wife survives him.
RAWLINGS, Joseph Henry died 29 September 1879
The remains of Dr. J.H. Rawlings, late senior house surgeon at the Adelaide Hospital, who died on Monday September 29th,
were interred in the West-terrace cemetery on Wednesday afternoon. October 1. The funeral courtage left the residence of Dr. V. W. Baily, Norwood, at 4 o'clock. The mourning coaches contained Messres W. and C. Main (cousins of deceased), Dr. F. W. Baily, the Rev. W. B. Andrews (the officiating clergyman), Mr. B. Allen. Jun, Dr. Wyatt (chairman of the Hospital Board, Dr. A. O. Ward (acting-senior house surgeon). Mr. E. H. Hallaek (secretary to the Hospital Board), and Mr. T. K. Pater. At the grave we noticed Drs. W. Gosse, C. Gosse, Clindening, Davies-Thomas,and Way; Messrs. M. Salom, J.P., T. D. Smeaton, J.P., and W. O. Buik, JJ. (members of the Hospital Board); Drs. J.Phillips, W. T. Wylde, T. W.Corbin, W.Oardner and O. Gorger (hon. medical officers); Messrs. H. F. Stedman (senior dispenser), K. J. Tregenza (receiver of stores), Mrs. K. Bruister (matron), and several of the hospital nurses;
Drs, Vereo, W. Bayly, Rees. Seabrook, and Oleland, Superintendent Peteswald, Massrs. T. Ward (City Coroner), G. F. Gardner, Primer, J. B Champion, H. Lloyd Whittell, M.Muirhead. and B. Eagle. Apologies were received for the unavoidable absence of the following members of the Hospital Board of Management:— Hon. T. King, Minister of Education, the Hon. J. Cotton, and Dr. Mayo.
Dr. Rawlings arrived in Adelaide in the ship Golden Sea, in March, 1876, in charge of Government immigrants. He visited Melbourne
and Sydney, and on returning here acted as locam temens for Dr. Fisher. of Kadina. He was appointed junior house surgeon in December, 1876, and took charge as senior house surgeon in January, I878, on the resignation of Dr. Gardner.
RAY, Annie died 21 January 1906
Mrs. Ray, wife of Mr. W. Ray, engineer of the S.A. Gas Company, who for some time had resided at Mill-terrace, North Adelaide, died early on Sunday morning after a short illness. Mrs. Ray, during her long residence at Hindmarsh, was a communicant at All Saint's, and an active church worker
Headstone North Road Anglican Cemetery
RAYMOND, John died 29 April 1931
Mr. John Raymond, an old resident of Clare, died after a short illness, at the age of 73 years. He was born at the southern part of Hill River on February 11, 1857, and had resided in the district practically for the whole of his lifetime. When a young man he was employed by the late Mr. T. F. Pink, and also by Mr. C. Kimber as a carrier. Afterwards, for 40 years, he carried on business as a contractor and carrier on his own account, retiring from active work last November. He was a member of two Clare lodges, the Rechabites, of which order he was a staunch member for 52 years, and the Foresters, of which he was a member for over 50 years. He married on June 22, 1881, Miss Annie Dunstan, who had come from Cornwall, at Kooringa,and she survives. The family of five children are living —Messrs. Ernest Raymond (Clare), Mr. Oliver Raymond (Terowie), Mrs. Horace Williams (Clare.), Mrs. Elliott Williams (Clare), Mrs. Percy Wallace (Adelaide). Two brothers and one sister of the late Mr. Raymond are living. Mr. W. Raymond (Clare), Mr. J. Raymond (Victoria), and a sister, residing at Glenelg. The remains were interred at the Clare Cemetery, the Rev. H. P. Lyons conducting the ceremony.
Headstone Clare Cemetery
RAYMOND, John died 29 August 1935
The death of Mr. John Raymond, of Wallaroo Mines, at the age of 81, removed one of the oldest residents of the district. His parents went to Kadina 74 years ago. Mr. Raymond had a varied career as a tradesman, miner, and finally librarian at the Wallaroo Mines Institute. He married Miss Carrie Isaac, a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Isaac, of Moonta. There were twelve children of the marriage, and his widow and seven children survive. They are Mr. Syd. Raymond, Mrs. Jack Lawrence, Pastor Roy Raymond, of Fremantle; Mrs. O. G. Norman, of Grange; Mr. Harold Raymond, of Prospect; Mrs. C. Parker, of Port Victoria; and Claude Raymond, of Wallaroo Mines. There are 15 grandchildren.
Headstone Kadina Cemetery
RAYNER, William James died 19 July 1905
Mr. W. J. Rayner, whose daughter married the Hon. T. Pascoe, M.L.C, died at Terowie on Wednesday. He was formerly a member of the coaching firm of Crews and Rayner, which ran a line of coaches from Terowie to the Barrier district.
Headstone Hallett Cemetery
READ, Charles died 25 April 1953
Mr. Charles Read, of Gladstone, who died recently at the age of 77, was one of the best known residents of the district. Alter farming at Clover Hill for many years, he settled at Gladstone. He was keenly interested in sheep. He was Gladstone's oldest justice of the peace, and an active member of the bowling club. He is survived by a widow and two sons, Alex (Gladstone) and Frank.
Headstone Georgetown Cemetery
READ, James died 11 October 1890
Mr. James Reade, a colonist of ?2years' standing, died at Bowden on Saturday in his 83rd year. He went to the Victorian gold
diggings in 1851, and after his return entered into agricultural pursuits at Hurtle Vale. Subsequently he turned his attention to the wine industry, but a few months ago disposed of his vineyard and took up his residence at Bowden. On Sunday his remains were conveyed to the Happy Valley Cemetery.
READ, John Lambert died 27 October 1931
People of the upper north were grieved to learn of the sudden death of Mr. John L. Read. Partner in business with his brother In the tiny town of Craddock. He endeared himself for his readiness to help. He was secretary of many sports clubs, and was captain of the cricket club. As Government auditor for the councils, he audited from Orroroo to Hawker, including Port Augusta and Quorn, and
the town clerks of those places were enthusiastic in praise of his ability and courtesy. He leaves a widow (nee Myrtle Quicke) and three daughters.
READ, Mary died 13 January 1925
The death of Mrs Thomas Read, which occurred at the Burra Hospital on Tuesday last, after a lengthy illness removes another old and highly esteemed resident. The deceased lady was born at Liskard, Cornwall, in 1841, and at the age of 22 years arrived in South Australia in the ship 'Addment' in 1868, and came direct to Burra to the home of her uncle, the late Captain Killicoat. Later in life she married Mr Thomas Read, who carried on farming and dairying on the south side of Kooringa. On their retirement they came into Kooringa to live, and ever since the death of her husband some years ago Mrs Read has resided alone and considering her age has enjoyed very fair health. She was of a very cheery disposition and could relate many interesting reminiscences of the early days. She leaves one daughter, Mrs Frank Griffiths, of Redruth, Burra, and three grandsons. There is also a number of step-children. The funeral took place on Wednesday, the Rev. B. Smith conducted the service and Messers. C. J Pearce and Son the funeral arrangements.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
READ, Walter Andrew died 13 April 1948
Mr. Walter Andrew Read, who died suddenly at his home, Day street Hove, recently, was a lieutenant in the AMF in World War I, and was associated with the Exhibition camp. He was an employee of the Engineering , and Water Supply Department,: Onkaparinga district, for 33 years. He is survived by his wife, formerly Mrs. A. R. Everitt, two sons, Messrs. W. D. and C. A. Read, and one daughter, Miss M. E. H. Read, of Verdun.
Headstone North Brighton Cemetery
REES, Alfred died 29 August 1902
The Passionist Fathers, whose headquarters in South Australia are at Glen Osmond, are a well-known body. Individually they are popular. It will be easily understood, therefore, how the news of the sudden death of one of the community came as a surprise and even as a shock to many of our readers. The death of Father Alfred, C.P., occurred with startling suddenness. Bathing in the Glenelg baths, he collapsed without warning. His head fell, and before help could reach him he was already dead. His funeral took place yesterday afternoon at the Glen Osmond Monastery. Archbishop O'Reily had hastened back from the ceremony at Norwood and presided at the obsequies. The Passionist Fathers are held in high esteem. There was accordingly although it was Sunday, the clergymen's, busiest day, a large gathering of priests.
Among those present were the Very Rev. Dr. Byrne, V.G., the Very Rev. Archpriest Nevin, the Rev. T. Hurley, the Very Rev. Prior Kindelan, O.C.C., the Rev. M. B. Larkin, O.P., and the Rev. Father O'Brien. S.J. The tram company had a busy time of it. Eight cars
were in waiting when the funeral was over, and the Bay-road was crowded with vehicles, carrying sympathisers from every
part of the city and suburbs. The Monastery grounds were crowded, and some hundreds were present as mourners. The late
Father Alfred was English, of the English. Of the Englishman's religion, he was Protestant in the early days. He became a
Catholic, then a Passionist monk, and then a priest. Those who knew him could not but admire bim. He was singularly
straightforward and candid. With all he was gentleness itself, and invariably and in all circumstances courteous. His death is
a serious loss to the Passionist community. Every father among them literally deplores his loss, as do many hundreds of laymen and laywomen.
REEVES, Augustus died 14 May 1904
On Saturday about midday Mr. Augustus Reeves, aged, about 50 years, and employed by Messrs. Horn & Co., of Horndale Vine
yards as a teamster, was crushed to death by a fall of limestone rubble in the Reynella rubble pit. It appears that the man had gone as usual for a load of rubble, and after backing in his dray was in the act of putting out the stuff, when a large mass, weighing several tons, which had been previously undermined, suddenly gave way. The unfortunate man was buried in the debris. Another teamster passing, suspecting that something was wrong, went to the spot, and with the help of others quickly succeeded in recovering the body, which was found to be fearfully mangled and lifeless. An inquest was held in the Reynella Hall on Saturday afternoon, when a verdict of "accidental death" was returned. At the conclusion of the inquest the coroner, jurors, and witnesses handed their fees to the deceased's widow, who is left with a family of five small children, and unfortunately in rather poor circumstances. The funeral took place on Sunday, and a large number of people followed the remains to the grave in the Happy Valley Cemetery.
REID, Blandena died 27 May 1931
Mrs. Blandena Reid, a pioneer of the Kadina district, died at the age of 78 years. She was born at Golden Grove, and removed to Green's Plains in the early days with her uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Couzner. She was married to Mr. John Reid in 1874. Mr. Reid was a large landholder in the district, and he and the late Messrs. Ford and J. Day constituted the first Land Board in the district. Mr. Reid died in 1887, and Mrs. Reid then lived with her daughter, Mrs. J.H. Bussenschutt, Paskeville. Of a family of two sons and two daughters, only Mrs. J. H. Bussenechutt survives.
REID, Eliza died 05 August 1904
Mrs. J.M. Reid died at Hill street, North Adelaide on Friday. Mrs. Reid had been ill for over 12 months, and the loss of their daughter by drowning at Henley Beach in January last was naturally a great shock to her. Mr. Reid is in Brisbane attending a Conference of Chambers of Manufactures, and will not be able to reach home before Tuesday. He was also absent from the State when his daughter was drowned.
The Rev. John Reid, M.A., well-known in South Australia as an eloquent and brilliant preacher and lecturer, died last week. Mr. Reid was born at Leven, Fifeshire, and educated at Newton College, and the Edinburgh University, and he arrived in Australia over 40 years ago. Ha wag tutor to Lord Rosebery, and for a number of years dramatic critic for a leading Scottish paper. He was lecturer for the Palestine Exploration Society, and lectured before Dean Stanley and other notable men at Oxford. For many years ha was professor of church history and philosophy at the Congregational College for the Training of Ministers. He was one of the first and most widely known lecturers in connection with the University extension movements, both in Adelaide and Melbourne, his lectures on Shakespeare (on whose writings he was a foremost authority in Australia) created so much interest that he was despatched by the University extension committee to deliver courses of lectures on Shakespeare's plays in the leading country centres. Together with the late Professor Morris and the late Dr. Neild (says the 'Argus'), he was one of the founders of the Melbourne Shakespeare Society, of which he was secretary for many; years. He was also one of the trustees of the Melbourne Public Library, and occupied a seat on the council of the Working Men's College for some years. From his earliest days he took a very active part in literary work, acting as correspondent for a number of English papers and journals. He was a regular contributor to the Melbourne periodicals and newspapers. For many years he was actively engaged in scholastic work. He was the elder and only brother of the late Mr. Robert Reid. He had lived in retirement for the last few years. He left a widow, three eons, and six daughters. Mr. W. E. Reid and Mr. H. Newman Reid are well-known Melbourne business men, and Mr. Edward Crichton Reid is a resident of Dunedin.
REID, William died 07 June, 1861
Border Watch June 14, 1861
It is our melancholy duty to record the death of one of our earliest colonists, Mr. Inspector Reid, of the Foot Police of South Australia. It appears that on the evening of the 7th June he was proceeding along the jetty for the purpose of embarking on the Ant steamer on his return to Adelaide from a visit to this district, when he was overtaken by a loaded truck, conveying wheat for shipment from the Bay. The men in charge of the truck called out to him, but it would appear the unfortunate gentleman did not hear them till too late. They endeavoured to stop the truck, but from the decline in the jetty towards the sea, were unable to do so. The truck knocked him down, throwing him across the rails, when the wheels passed over him, and death was almost instantaneous. The trucks used have not any " breaks" attached to them, and the decline towards the sea renders it impossible for manual power to check them until they arrive at the lowest level, when the rails make a gradual incline seawards.
The late Mr. Reid came to this colony twenty-one years ago, and joined the police force of South Australia, in which he had gradually raised himself to his late position of Inspector. His gentlemanly behaviour and kindness to all connected with him, both officially and privately, have endeared him to one and all.
His loss will be severely felt by a large circle of friends, and also to all well-wishers to peace and good order.
As a police officer he was not to be surpassed. The deceased gentleman was about retiring from the police on the pension allowed for long service, and had visited this district with the intention of settling here. He was brother to the Rev. Mr. Reid, Episcopalian Minister at Guichen Bay.
We regret to add that he leaves a wife and one child to lament his untimely end.
REILLY, Agnes Bridget died 22.01.1906
Mrs. Agnes B. O'Reilly, widow of former proprietor of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Penola, died last week, aged 58 years. She had lived in the State for nearly half a century.
Headstone Penola New Cemetery
REILLY, John died 28 January 1904
Mr. John Reilly, of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Penola, died on Friday week from heart trouble. Mr. Reilly went to the South-East as a working man, and when he died be owned two of the best-kept hotels in the district, the Prince of Wales and the Millicent Hotel Millicent. He was very popular with the travelling public, and more especially with commercial travellers, who regarded his houses as a home. Mr. Reilly's kindness and sympathy for those in distress was well known, and many a
sovereign passed quietly from him into needy hands, accompanied by an encouraging word, and no one ever appealed to him for help without receiving it. In business he was most honourable, and his word was quite sufficient in any transaction. Mr. J Reilly, who served several years in the Penola council, left a widow, three daughters, and five sons- Mrs. Rolloson, of Adelaide; Miss Minnie Reilly, Messrs. John and Thomas Reilly (who manage the Millicent Hotel), and Miss Aggie Reilly,
Messrs. William and James Reilly, of Penola, and Mr. Charlie Reilly, who is at college.
Headstone Penola New Cemetery
REIMANN, Mrs. Maria Bertha died 28 April 1952
Mrs. M. B. Reimann who died at her home at Hamley Bridge, was born at Nairne 82 years ago, and received her education at the Nairne school. In 1898 she married Mr. Paul Reimann, of Keyneton, their first home being in Sedan. In 1903 the young couple went to live in Hamley Bridge where she lived until her death. Mr. Reimann died 12 years ago. Mrs. Reimann lived a very active life until her sight was lost about four years ago. She leaves one son (Alwin), one daughter-in-law, seven grandchildren and one great grandchild.
RENDELL, Wyndham James died 11 June 1937
Mr. Wyndham James Rendell. of Victoria terrace, Unley, who died on Friday, was born at Walkerville 76 years ago, and was the eldest son of the late Mr. T. M. Rendell. He was educated at Whinham College, and entered his father's business at Kadina, where he held office in the Foresters' Lodge for many years. He came to Adelaide in 1908. and later joined the Government service, being attached to the staff of the Engineer-in-Chief's Department where he remained until his retirement in. 1929. Mr. Rendell was a
member of the committee of the Unley Institute Library for 14 years. Both he and his wife were prominent workers in the Taylor street Methodist Church, and were members of the choir for many years. Mrs. Rendell was formerly Miss Emily M. Gumer, the eldest
daughter of the late Mr. F. W. Gurner. Mr. Rendell has left a widow, three sons, and two daughters—Mrs. R. G. Surplice, of Unley, Miss F. W. Rendell, of Melbourne, and Messrs C. G. Rendell, of Payneham. H. W. Rendell, of Adelaide, and L. M. Rendell. of India.
RENIHAN, Margaret died 02 April 1931
Mrs. Renihan, who died at Kapunda recently, was 74 years of age. She was the eldest daughter of the late Mr.and Mrs. Timothy Molloy and for many years conducted a grocery business in Kapunda. She retired from business a few years ago, and had since lived quietly.
RENNY, John died 27 March 1903
The death of the Rev. John Renney, a well known Baptist minister, occurred at the residence of Mrs. E Cox, Gilles Street, on Friday. The deceased gentleman was about 80 years of age, and landed in South Australia 40 years ago from England. On his arrival he took charge of a suburban church, and subsequently was stationed at Saddleworth and North Adelaide. In 1873 his wife died, and Mr. Renney went to Yorke Peninsula for a time. He next took charge of a church at Aldinga, where he remained for nearly 12 years, and he was at Lyndoch for nine years. Being of feeble helath he came to Adelaide and went to live with Mrs. Cox who was a constant worshipper at his church in Lyncoh. He had been in a weak state of health, and notwithstanding the constant attention of Dr. Todd, and the patient nursing of Mrs. Cox and her daughters, he died from senile decay. The funeral takes place today.
REUSCH, Augusta Paulina died 25 May 1931
Mrs. Augusta Paulina Reusch, who died recently at Kent Town, was born at Clausdorf, West Prussia, in 1858. She arrived in South Australia with her parents in the sailing ship Edward in 1877. Three years later she married Mr. Albert Ignetz Reusch, late of Gawler. Two daughters and one son survive:—Mesdames E. Hayes (Port Pirie) and E. Lambe (Kent Town), and Mr. A. Reusch (Prospect).
REYNELL, John died 15 June 1873
It will be observed by au obituary announcement in another column Mr. John Reynell died at the York Hotel, on Sunday. The deceased gentleman waa a very old colonist, and well known to a large number of the early South Australians. He was one of the first influential settlers southward from Adelaide, where amongst other avocations he devoted himself for years with considerable success to the cultivation of the vine. The townshlp of Reynella, of which he may be said to be the founder, was named after him. He formed one of a large circle of country gentlemen residing between O'Halloran Hill and a few miles beyond Noarlunga who have now nearly all passed away.
Headstone O'Halloran Hill Christ Church Cemetery
REYNOLDS, William Henry died 11 August 1927
The news of the death of Mr. W. . Reynolds, of Booborowie (which occurred at the Burra Hospital) on hursday morning, August 11th, came as a great shock to his many friends. The cause of death being peuro-pneumonia. Mr. Reynolds as a widely-known resident of Booborowie and esteemed by all who knew him. He was the second son f the late Mr. T. Reynolds of Booborowie, and Mrs. Reynolds, Torrensville, and 48 years of age. The deceased gentleman although he ever took a prominent part in public affairs nevertheless was always deep y interested in any matter pertaining to the town or district's welfare and any such always had his patronage and support. In educational and church matters he was however to therefore and the Booborowie Methodist Church has lost a good officer, member and supporter. He married Miss Edith Work, a daughter of Mr. T. Work of Aberdeen, late of Booborowie, who is left with a family of six young daughters, the youngest being six years of age. Mr Reynolds for a long time had not been in robust health, consequently had not the reserve strength to combat a serious illness. The very great sympathy felt for his wife and daughters, his aged mother and family was evidenced by the immense cortege, some 60 motor cars, which followed his remains to the grave, friends being present from Spalding and all parts of the district. The service was conducted by the Rev. A. Dyer and the 90th Psalm read by a layman, Mr S. Trengove of Spalding. The coffin was covered in beautiful floral tributes. Messrs C. J. Pearce and Son had charge of the funeral arrangements.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
RHODES, Grace Edith died 13 November 1919
Widespread regret was caused by the un-expected death on Thursday last of Sister Grace Edith Rhodes, who for a number of years had been well known as a trained nurse. She devoted herself to the arduous duties of the Babies' Hospital, when it was situated at St. Peters, and had been at "Mareeba" since the inception of that institution. Sister Rhodes, who received her early training at Miss Hill's hospital, endeared herself to all who knew her, and her death is regarded as a serious loss to her profession. She was the eldest living daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Rhodes, and, like her father, was for many years closely associated with the Kent Town Methodist Church. She was sister of Mrs. Pearce Delbridge, of Glenelg, and Mrs. E. Casely, of Sydney. There are six brothers, each of whom is well-known in business circles in South Australia.
RICHARDS, Frederick William died 10 June 1908
Mr. F. W. Richards, who died at his residence, South-terrace, on Wednesday, was 85 years of age. Born in Teignmouth,
Devonshire, he arrived in South Australia in 1852, and subsequently established coffee and spice mills in Adelaide. For half a
century he was closely associated with the Pirie-street Methodist Church, in which he held numerous offices. A widow, five sons, and three daughters survive him. The sons are Messrs. Walter Richards (New South Wales), E. Richards (Western Australia),
and Frederick, William and Frank Richards (South Australia). The daughters are Mesdames J. W. Grasby and John Malpas,
and Miss Edith Richards.
RICHARDS, Henrietta Helen died 17 July 1932
The funeral of Mrs. R. P. Richards, of Prospect, was conducted here on Tuesday afternoon. The deceased lady who was well known in Burra years ago, was the only sister of the late Mr. E. W. Crewes of Kooringa. She came to Burra with her mother and brother in the seventies and resided in Aberdeen. She was twice married. Her first husband was a Mr. E. Benny, butcher, of Kooringa, and during her residence here Mrs. Benny was one of the leading vocalists and a member for many years of the Kooringa Wesleyan Church choir. On leaving Burra Mr. and Mrs. Benny went to West Australia where her husband died. Some years later she married Mr. Richards and came to S A. to reside. Mr. Richards predeceased his wife about five years ago. During her brother's lifetime Mrs. Richards paid several visits to Burra.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
RICHARDS, John died 24 July 1902
Mr. John Richard, who died at Alberton on Thursday evening, arrived in South Australia in 1853 and went direct to the Burra, where for several years be was connected with the mines. He was well known in the district, but he never took part in public affairs and was of a retiring disposition. He was 84 years of age at the time of his death. Mrs. C. C. Thomas, of Alberton, with whom the deceased had lived for the past ten years, is the only survivor of his large family. The funeral will take place at the Kooringa Cemetery on Saturday.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
RICHARDSON, James Campbell died 11 May 1944
Mr. James Campbell Richardson, who died at Gleneig recently, was for 36 years a member of the SA Education Department. He was born in Sydney in 1857. His South Australian schools were Willowie. Halbury, Port Lincoln and Laura. He took a prominent part in all educational, civic and sporting activities in those towns, and in the districts which they served. He played in many country cricket teams. He was the first secretary of the Port Lincoln Masonic Lodge and its second Worshipful Master. He was also president of the institute committee and returning officer for the district. He owned farming properties at Poonindie and Yallunda Flat. He was also a lay reader in the Church of England, and on more than one occasion he walked to Poonindie from Port Lincoln, a distance of 10 miles, to take services. He retired in 1922, and lived in Unley until a few years before his death. He was a mem
ber of the Sturt and Unley Park bowling clubs. His wife, formerly Miss Mary Jacka, of Willowie whom he married in 1886, died only
eight weeks before him. Two sons survive. Mr. P. S. Richardson (Mayor of Edithburgh) and Maj J. H. Richardson (2nd AIF). and
one daughter, Mrs. Hew Severn who has resided in Sussex (Eng) since 1919.
Mr. John Richardson who died at his home on North parade, Strathalbyn, was born at Woodchester 85 years ago, and was the
third son of the late Mr. William Richardson, who arrived in South Australia in 1838. When a young man Mr. Richardson went to
Northern Australia and worked on cattle stations in Queensland, where he gained a wide knowledge of cattle and horses. In
after years he was wen known as judge in the showrings of the State. He bought the Angas Bank estate south-east of Strathalbyn and farmed successfully until he retired and came to live in Strathalbyn. For many years he served on the committee of the Strathalbyn Agricultural Society and was a foundation member of the Strathalbyn Racing club, of which he was for some years chair
man. He was one of a large family of six boys and four girls—William, Alexander, John Adam. Robert James, Margaret, Jane,
Hannah and Helen. The only surviving member or this family is Margaret (Mrs. W. Thompson, of Adelaide), who is now in her 92nd
year. The late Mr. Richardson leaves a widow (Mrs. Mary Richardson) and one son (Mr. William Richardson), of Dalveen, Woodchester.
RICHARDSON, Rheuben died 22 November 1902
November 21.-The death is announced of an old colonist, Mr. Reuben Richardson, well-known as the owner of Cumberland Farm, Golden Grove, at the age of 92. Mr. Richardson arrived in this State in 1840 by the Baboo from Cumberland (England). In the early fifties Mr. Richardson bought his first section of land, now the homestead of his farm, and by steady industry and strict integrity added greatly to his holding, until at his death he was the owner of some thousands of acres in this prosperous district. Before settling down at Cumberland Farm he was for some years a member of the Police Force. Afterwards he, with another old and respected colonist, who still survives (Mr. Thos. Atkinson, of Willunga), he went into the business of carting ore on the Burra-road. The first year's operations at Cumberland Farm were highly remunerative, his wheat bringing him in over £1,700, the price being 21/ s bushel. This was in the height of the Victorian gold fields' excitement, and Mr. Richardson then took a trip to his native Land, which he also visited 25 years later. The deceased left only one child, Mrs. A. M. Richardson, widow of Mr. Joseph Richard- son, of Lower Light.
Headstone St. John's Anglican Cemtery, Salisbury
RICHMAN, Edward died 30 April 1931
Captain Edward Richman, a Boer War veteran, died at his home in Pulsford road, Prospect, on Thursday,at the age of 72. He served in the Fifth Imperial Bushmen's Corps in the Boer War. He was educated abroad, and when he was 21 he returned to South Australia to help his father on the Lincoln Gap station. Captain Richman was a guard of honor in the South African War Veterans' Association during the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York to Adelaide. A widow survives.
RICKARD, Elizabeth Ann died 09 May 1931
Mrs. Elizabeth Ann Rickard, of Milner-street, Prospect, who died last Saturday at the age of 80 years, was a colonist for 65 years. The second daughter of the late John and Susan Eddy, of Moonta Mines, she was born at St. Just, Cornwall, on January 20, 1851, and came to Australia in the ship Salamonea with her parents in 1866. She was a member of the Methodist Church from the age of 16. Her husband, Mr. J. Rickard, predeceased her by four years. There survive four sons: —Messrs. J. J. Rickard (Medindie), H. J. S. Rickard. and C. W. Rickard (Wellinton, New Zealand), and R. G. Rickard (Sydney), and one daughter, Mrs. J. G. Phillips (Prospect). There are eight grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
RIDDLE fmly NOCKOLDS, Elizabeth died 03 September 1910
By the death of Mrs. E. Riddle, which took, place at the residence of her son in-law (Mr. J. Richmond, Black Forest), on the 3rd instant, the State has lost an old colonist. Born in Tasmania on March 21, 1841, she arrived with her parents (Mr. and Mrs. W. Barrett) in South Australia in 1833. She married, in 1862. Mr. Henry Leon Nockolds, and was in business for many years in Port Adelaide and Narracoorte. Mr. Nockolds died in 1880, and she afterwards married Mr. W. Riddle. Four children survive, viz., Mrs. J. Richmond, Black Forest: Mrs. C. W. Tollev. Fremantle; Mrs. F. E. Rundell, of Perth, Western Australia; and Mr. William Riddle, of Western Australia.
Headstone Cheltenham Cemetery
RIESSEN, Doris Adelaide died 14 September 1926
Deep sympathy was felt for Mr and Mrs 0. H. Mann of Baldina, in the death of their eldest daughter, Miss Doris Adeline Riesson, which occurred at Baldina on the 14th of September, at the early age of 22 years. Miss Riesson who was born at Aberdeen, Burra, on June 4th, 1994, was the daughter of Mrs Mann by a former marriage, and was a young lady of striking personality and a most lovable disposition. About eighteen months ago whilst in a position in the city, she contracted
pneumonia, then measles in a bad form and later bronchitis supervened. She never threw off the effects and for four months was in hospital in the city. Her parents then brought her to their Baldina home where it was hoped the purer atmosphere of the north would restore her health but despite every attention and care the tubercular trouble had got a hold and after a long illness borne with wonderful fortitude she passed away as stated. The funeral took place at Kooringa on Thursday afternoon and the large attendance testified to the popularity of the deceased young lady. The service was conducted by the Rev. B. H. Lee and the funeral arrangements by Messrs C J. Pearce and Son.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
RIORDAN, Thomas Andrew died 23 January 1936
Mr. Thomas Andrew Riordan, who died at his home, Annesley avenue, North Norwood, recently, was born at Capper street, Kent Town. He was educated at Christian Brothers' College Wakefield street, and was a keen student of astronomy, being a member
of the Astronomical Society of South Australia. He was associated with Marshall's and Myers for a number of years. Two daughters, Misses Leonore and Pauline Riordan and a son Mr John Riordan, survive.
ROADS, Thomas died 29 August 1892
Cape Borda, August 30. One of our oldest residents, Mr. Thomas Roads, died suddenly yesterday morning at the age of eighty-two. The funeral to-day was largely attended. A service was held in the Bible Christian Church, of which the deceased was the oldest member. The Rev. W. T. Shapley conducted the service.
ROBERTS nee PEDERICK, Hannah Maria died 10 April 1930
Mrs. H. M. Roberts, who died at her residence, Jacob-street. Gawler, on April 10, was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Pederick. who arrived in South Australia, from Devonshire in the ship Brightman in 1840. She was born in Gouger-street, Adelaide in 1843, and soon after, with her parents and family she removed to Plvmpton where the first ten years of her life were spent. In 1852 the family sold the Plympton property, and bought land at Pine Park, near Two Wells, and engaged in farming. In 1860 they moved to Woodburn farm, on the Gawler River, where Mrs. Roberts lived until 1869, when she was married to Mr. William Roberts, of Carclew, Gawler River. He died in 1896 at the age of 54. She continued to live on the farm until 1910, when, with her two daughters, she went to reside in Gawler. The surviving members of her family are Messrs. H. H. Roberts Red Banks). A. J. Roberts and W. P. Roberts (Gawler River). Mrs. Urlwin Day (Lewiston), and Misses E and M. Roberts (Gawler). There are 18 grandchildren and three great grandchildren. Mr. John Pederick (Gawler) is a brother, and Mrs. Mankey (Prospect) a sister.
Headstone Angle Vale Carclew Primitive Methodist Cemetery
ROBERTS, William Edward
Mr William Edward Roberts, whose death we recorded last week as having taken place on Tuesday, 24th Ult., at Oakvale, was a colonist of 65 years and a resident of the West Coast of 59 years. He was born in London on February 17th., 1836, being, therefore, 78 years of age at the time of his death. He left England in the ship Artimesica in 1849, landing in Sydney the same year. He at once proceeded to Queensland, and there spent the first five years of his colonial life on large sheep stations. During this period he was successively engaged in sheep herding, hut building, shearing, fencing etc., and the life proved a very hard one, owing principally to the treacherous nature of the blacks, who were very wild at that time. The sheep had to be guarded both day and night to prevent ravages, and, despite every care, it was no unusual thing for the men so engaged to be robbed of all rations and to only narrowly escape death from the spears and boomerangs of the natives. Mr Roberts was very reminiscent on these escapades, and had many a good "yarn" to spin anent there. In 1854 he and his mate left Queensland, setting out for Adelaide on foot. Striking the river, they made bark canoes and paddles down the stream, ultimately reaching their goal. Soon after this Mr Roberts came over to the west Coast, and here spent an uninterrupted eight or nine years' sphere of labour at droving and other station work for Fowler's Bay station. The droving was principally between Port Lincoln and Fowler's Bay, over which distance he travelled many thousand sheep. As may be imagined, the recognised road was sometimes not even a track, and, here again, his experiences were varied, and it was only by constant resource to the bushman's well known ingenuity that he was able to get his bullock teams and flocks through to their destination. In 1863 he married to Mary Elizabeth Dowling at St. Patrick's church, West Terrace, by the Rev. John Smyth. The newly married pair left Adelaide on January 2nd, 1864, in the cutter Firefly (Captain Meperoy), and arrived at Point Bell fifteen days later. Here he signed on with Messrs Marrabell and Miller as shepherd, and from then on until the expiration of the leases in 1888 his time was occupied in the Fowler's Bay district. On the station was included in his work the supervision of the erection of the kangaroo yards, which proved such a boon to the squatters in the early seventies. Being of an industrious disposition, he never missed an opportunity of adding to his finances, and, when the 1888 leases were thrown open he selected about 80,000 acres of land between Streaky Bay and Calca - part of the original Maryvale station, then held by Mr. W.A. Horne. He stocked up the country with sheep, but soon found that the ravages of dogs and drought, were hard to combat against, and that it would be advisable to combine farming. Consequently, he divided a portion of the property between his three eldest sons, and he, with the remaining four, started on the balance of Oakvale. These pursuits were successfully carried on until 1907, when, owing to failing health, he was compelled to give up active life, and his two youngest sons then took over the place, and he resided there up till the time of his death. When his health failed him, different doctors were consulted, but senility had set in and they could do nothing. Some six months ago it was found advisable to procure the services of a nurse for him, and since then Nurse McKenzie had been in unremitting attendance on him. His wife pre-deceased him by six years. He was a devoted husband and father, and a man who made many friends. In his early days he was a record shearer, and was recognised as an exceptional man in connection with sheep. His hands for many years were in a crippled state, evidence of strenuous efforts he had put forward in effectively combating with a burning house. He had thirteen children, eight of whom are still living. The surviving sins are Messrs W.J, E.A., J.J. and P.C., of Calca; V.A. of Oakvale and G.P. of Petina; and daughters Mrs J.J. McDonald of Maryvale and Mrs D.P.McGregor of Western Australia. The grand-children number thirty.
ROBERTSON, Alexander died 17 August 1904
Mr. Alexander Robertson, who died suddenly of heart failure in Adelaide on Wednesday, was a colonist of 55 years standing.
He and his wife, who -celebrated their golden wedding in March, 1899, were among the earliest members of Chalmers Church,
North-terrace, which they joined 53 years ago.
ROBERTSON, Ann Jane died 25 August 1902
Mrs. Ann Jane Robertson, who died at the residence of her son-in-law (Mr. G. A. Patterson), at the age of 72 years, had been a resident of Port Adelaide for the past 51 years. During the whole of this period she had resided on Lefevre Peninsula.
She was the widow of Mr. Gilbert Robertson. A family of three sons, three daughters, and l8 grandchildren survive.
ROBERTSON, David Colin died 27 December 1905
Mr. David Colin Robertson died on Wednesday at this residence, Pier Street, Glenelg, after a long and painful illness, on the 44th anniversary of his birthday. He was a son of the late Mr. R Robertson, merchant, of London, and prior to leaving England 15 years ago, was accountant in the London office of the P & O Steamship Company. During his residence in South Australia Mr. Robertson had led a retired life. He left a widow and two children.
Headstone North Brighton Cemetery
ROBERTSON, Theodore Frederic died 10 June 1928
The late T. Frederic Robertson, who passed away at his residence, Aberdeen, on the 10th June last, was an old and much esteemed resident of Burra and district, having resided here for the past 51 years. Born at Bristol, England, in 1856, he was the fourth son of the late Dr. and Mrs. H. A. P. Robertson, of St. Bartholomaeus Hospital, London. He came to Australia with a friend, Mr. Parker, of the Huddart Parker Steamship line, on a health trip and it was hoped by their parents that they would return and follow the profession (medicine) of their respective parents. Mr Robertson however was so taken up with Australia and decided to remain and coming to the Burra to settle here. In later years he had a great desire to return to Bristol but owing to business responsibilities was never able to go. For many years he was a clerk for Treleaven and Brown, carriers, Burra, whose business he afterwards purchased and carried on successfully up to the time of his death. In his business dealings the deceased gentleman was noted for his strict integrity and greatly respected. Of a kindly disposition he made many friends. He was a prominent member of the Oddfellows Lodge and a member of the Masonic and a strong advocate for Liberalism although he never took any active part in public matters. He married Miss H. M. Rogers, the second daughter of the late Thomas Rogers of Kooringa, who survives. The family comprise two sons, Fred,. Aberdeen; Harry, Woodside and seven daughters (Laura) Mrs. S. Cilento, Adelaide; (Belle) Mrs. C. W. Muller, Croydon; (Gertrude) Mrs. Thompson, Algate, (Dorothy): Mrs. C. W. Ward, Kent Town; (Daphne) Mrs. P. A. Fuss, Aberdeen; (Gladys) Mrs. S. R. King, Aberdeen and Miss Kathleen Robertson, 16 grandchildren and five great grand-children.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
ROBINSON, William George died 04 December 1879
We regret to have to record the death of the Rev. W.G. Robinson, M.A., Trin. Coll. Dub., at the early age of 26. The deceased gentleman came to the colony two yean ago for the purpose of improving his health, and he was then appointed supply chaplain to His Lordship, Bishop Short. In January of this year he was appointed to the curacy of St. Mary's, O'Halloran Hill. The deceased gentleman has always been in a delicate state of health, and he expired this morning at St. Mary's, the cause of death being consumption. He leaves a large circle of friends, by whom his decease will be greatly mourned. Mr. Robinson, who is said to have been one at the most clever mathematicians in the colony, had taken high honors in this and other subjects at home. The funeral took place on Friday, December 5, when his remains were interned is the North Road Cemetery. The cortege started from town at about 4 o'clock, reaching Christ, North Adelaide, at half-past 4 o'clock. The coffin having been conveyed into the church, a funeral service was held, Archdeacon Marryat officiating. At the grave there were present His Lordship Bishop Short, the Very Rev. Dean Russell, the Very Rev. Dr. Dendy, the Revs. R. Reid, M.A., J. Pollitt. H. M. Pollitt, F. S. Poole, M.A., C. M. Mudie, and Gibbs, Dr. Foster, Dr. D. Garlick (father-in-law of the deceased), Mr. Abbott (brother-in-law), and a number of gentlemen from Adelaide and the South-road who were intimately acquainted with the deceased.
ROEHR, Paul Richard died 31 August 1950
Mr. Paul Richard Roehr died at Loxton at the age of 68 years. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Johann Adolph Roehr. In 1910 he arrived in Loxton, where he began his blacksmithing career of 36 years. In 1919 he married Magdalene Martha Klingberg. He leaves a widow and two daughters, Mrs. H. S. V. Warner, of Loxton, and Mrs. E. O. Forge, Victoria
Headstone Loxton Cemetery
ROENNFELDT, Benjamin Davey died 10 December 1902
We regret to announce the death of Mr. B. D. Roennfeldt, of the South Australian Hotel, North-terrace, at the age of 38. Mr.
Roennfeldt, before he entered into business in Adelaide, some years ago was very well known in the north, especially at Port
Wakefield and Petersburg. He was on several occasions mayor of the former town and was also connected with municipal
affairs at Petersburg. He had been ill for about a week, but his death, which occurred suddenly at an early hour this morning, was unexpected.
ROGERS, Margaret died 27 February 1913
Mrs Stephen Rogers who died on February 27th was in her 82 year. The deceased lady has been a resident of South Australia since 1848 in which year she arrived in the ship 'Roman Emporer". She left County Taroon (sic) on July 12 1848. On board the vessel were 200 Irish girls for domestic service. Deceased was married at 16 years of age to Mr Button. The couple lived for a number of years on Mr Loud's farm at Willunga. Her husband visited the Victorian gold fields at the time of the rush. He returned within a year with 800 sovereigns and eventually purchased 80 acres at Willunga. Mr Button died in 1866. Later in life Mrs Button married Mr Stephen Rogers and went to reside at Minlacowie. For a number of years they lived at Minlaton. Besides Mr Rogers the surviving members are Messrs O & J B Button, Minlacowie, D (Dan), Minlaton, J Button (Wandearah), W Button (Broken Hill), Mrs Skinner (Yankalilla) 46 grandchildren, M Rogers (Victoria), Robert Rogers (NSW) N Rogers (Warracknabeal) A Rogers (Minlacowie and H Rogers (Rainbow, Victoria) and 33 grandchildren adn several great grandchildren in both families.
ROGERS, Mary Ann died 16 May 1926
Miss M. A. Rogers, who died on Sunday at her residence, Welsh Place, Kooringa, was 74 years of age. The third and youngest daughter of the late Mr and Mrs B Rogers of Gum Creek, the deceased lady was born at Burra in the January of 1852. When quite a little girl she went to Adelaide to reside with a relation and there received her education. She later returned to Gum Greek where she remained until after the death of her parents when she went to keep house for her brother. On his marriage she moved to Pt. Augusta but later returned to her native town where she made a home and eventually settled here.
She had a very bright disposition and was greatly beloved by a large circle of friends. Her one hobby until her health failed, was gardening, she was passionately fond of flowers. For some time her health had, been very frail and her death was not unexpected. Mr J. H. Rogers of Aberdeen, (late of Hanson} and Mr T. Rogers of Hanson, are brothers.
Headstone Burra Cemetery
ROGERS, Robert William died 05 January 1906
The ranks of the old colonists has again been reduced by the death of Mr. Robert William Rogers, which occurred, yesterday. Mr. Rogers arrived in the ship Platina in February, 1839, and was for many years engaged in sheep, farming on Southern Yorke Peninsula.
ROLLISON, Mary died 19 July 1908
Mrs. W. Rollison, who died at her home in Mount Barker on Wednesday, was a colonist of over 50 years. She was born in Ireland and arrived in South Australia with her husband (the late Inspector Rollison) in 1855 by the ship Sea Park. Since then she had resided in different parts of the State. She left three sons-Messrs. W. R. Rollison (of the Lands Department), R. H. Rollison (of the Telegraph Department), and T. A. Rollison (of the Survey Department)-five daughters, and several grandchildren. She was 78 years of age.
Headstone Mount Barker Catholic Cemetery
ROLLISON, William Alexander died 04 April 1936
Mr. W. A. Rollison, sollcitor of Grove street, Unley Park who died, aged 43 on Saturday night at Calvary Hospital, after a long illness, had been a practitioner of the Supreme Court of South Australia since 1915. Educated at Christian Brothers' College and the Adelaide University, he obtained the final certificate in law in 1915 and was admitted to practice in April of that year. He had been articled to Mr. F. Villemeuve Smith, K.C. From 1933 to 1931 he was in partnership with Mr. G. L Ziesing, and since then with Mr. G D.
Roollison. For the last three years Mr. K. A. MacDonald also has been a partner in the firm. Mr. Rollison was a son of the late
Mr. W. R. Rollison, formerly the Registrar of lands. He was interested in racing, and about 1929 raced the sprinter Rou Mild, with which he won several races. Mr. RolliSon. who has left a widow and a daughter and son, went into hospital in December, suffering from peritonitis in a leg. After a return to his home, he was obliged to enter hospital again, and was found to have septicaemia. About a fortnight ago his condition became critical, and after several unexpected rallies, where it was hoped that he might recover
he died suddenly on Saturday.
ROPER, Miloria Matilda died 07 November 1927
Mrs. Roper, wiio died at North Adelaide recently was one of the most widely known residents of Second Valley. Born in England in 1862, she was the youngest daughter of Mr. aud Mr's. William March. She came to South Australia in the ship Oldenburgh in 1893 and lived for a few years at Mount Lofty. Two years after her arrival in the State she was married to Mr. G. V. J. Roper, and since then
she had lived at Second Valley. Mr. Roper's father owned the first flour mill in the district, and after his death Mrs. Roper managed the business. She was a member of St. James's Church of England Delamere and was a regular member of the choir for many years and occasionally organist. Mr. Roper survives, and there are two sons, Messrs. H. Roper (Kangaroo Island) and F. Roper
ROSS, John died 05 February 1903
The death occurred at the Adelaide Hospital on Thursday morning of Mr. John Ross, who years ago was well known as a bushman of the old school. On Monday afternoon Mr. Ross tripped and fell on a footpath at Medindie, and injured his spine. He was- born at Dingwall, Scotland, on May 17, 1817, and came to Adelaide while in his teens. He was a member of the exploring party under Messrs. Edward Eyre and Charles Bonney, and later on was in the Port Lincoln district with the late Messrs. Charles and George Hawker. Mr. Ross had a lot of experience on large sheep and cattle runs, and managed stations belonging to Messrs. J. Hope, J. Hughes, C. B. Fisher J. H. Angas, and Taylor. Mr. Ross was a great friend of the blacks, who always , treated him with respect. He was the leader of the party which laid the telegraph line to Port Darwin, after his return from which work he was tendered a banquet in the Town Hall, the chair being occupied by the then Governor of South Australia (Sir James Fergusson), Mr. Ross was a prominent figure in Freemasonry, having, been connected with the orders for 50 years.
Advertiser Saturday 7 February 1903
The funeral of Mr. John .Ross, the veteran bushman, who died on Thursday, took place at the West-terrace. Cemetery yesterday. It was not largely attended, but there were present several old bushmen and others who had known the deceased for many years. Among these were Sir Edwin Smith, Messrs. R. T. Maurice, W. P. Auld, R, Bruce, T. Coward, T. Knowles, W. Murray,. J McKay, and Ifould. A number of wreaths were placed on the grave, but the mourners were deeply, touched when Mr. Coward picked some gum leaves from an adjacent tree and placed them on the grave of him who had lived his life in the bush.
Advertiser Monday 9 February 1903
It is a melancholy fact that as cheques were being sent in for the benefit of the aged pioneer and explorer, Mr. John Ross,
that gentleman died in the Adelaide Hospital on Thursday last. Sir Edwin Smith, president of the Old Colonists' Association,
has communicated with the hon. secretary, Mr. Spencer Skipper, and suggested that the cheques should be devoted to the cost of a simple headstone over the old man's grave. The expense would be something under £10, and the association could add its mite.
The friends of Mr. Rossi (the postmaster at North Adelaide) will regret to learn that his son, Mr. Tom Rossi, died on Friday at the Coast Hospital, Sydney, of enteric fever. The deceased was for many, years employed in the Bank of Australasia, and was for a long period in the Broken Hill office. He introduced lacrosse at the Hill, and was captain of the local team. Five years ago he was appointed manager at Port Adelaide, but within two years he resigned through ill-health. For some time past he had acted as deputy retuning officer at Walkerville, where he became very popular. He was 30 years of age.
ROSSI, William died 09 May 1905
Much regret will be felt at the announcement of the death, from diabetes at Goodwood, on Tuesday evening at the age of 59 years of Mr. William Rossi, who recently retired from the Post and Telegraph Department after nearly half a century's service. Mr. Rossi entered the employ of the State on March 1 1857, only 15 months after the establishment of the Telegraph Department, and when he was but 11 years of age.
In 1864 he was in charge of the office at Gawler, and in 1866 he removed to Auburn, where he remained for 17 years. After a short stay at Wallaroo Mr. Rossi was transferred to Mount Barker where he remained for another 17 years. He was then appointed as post and telegraph master at North Adelaide where for the first three years he was also returning-officer for the electoral district of North Adelaide.
While at Auburn he became worshipful master of St. John's Masonic Lodge and to the last placed the master's jewel, received from his brethren there amongst the most valued of his many public presentations. He was an Oddfellow for over 40 years and had been a member of the Loyal Auburn Lodge since 1866.
Mr. Rossi was amongst the first to enter the telegraph service. Mr. Rossi was courteous, energetic and capable officer, and he was highly respected by a large circle of friends who sympathised deeply with him in regard to the long and painful illness which caused his retirement from the public service last February and his sad death.
He leaves a widow and four daughters and three sons - Mr W.R. Rossi, a relieving manager of the Bank of Western Australia; Mr. A. Rossi, an operator in the Adelaide Telegraph Office; and Mr. G.B. Rossi who is engaged in the Eastern Extension Company's service. The remains of Mr. Rossi will be interred in the West-terrace cemetery this afternoon.
ROWE, Arthur John Pascoe died 08 April 1954
Arthur John Pascoe Rowe, who died at Crystal Brook, was born at Angle Vale in 1875. He arrived in the Narridy district in 1891,
and took up farming several years later. As a young man he rode at country race meetings, and in later years raced many horses
successfully on his own account. He also won coursing prizes with dogs of his own breeding. Mr. Rowe disposed of his farming
property in 1945 and for the past nine years lived in retirement at Crystal Brook.
ROWE nee HAINES, Harriet died 11 April 1938
Mrs. Harriett Rowe, 82, wife of Mr. Samuel Rove, who died recently at the Kapunda Hospital, was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Haines, and was born at Teatree Gully. When she was 6 years of age she went with her parents to Allen's Creek, where Mr. Haines farmed. She lived there until 23 years of age, when she married Mr. Rowe. and went to Port Augusta, where the couple remained for two years. They then went to Kapunda. and have resided there ever since—a period of 57 years. Mr. Rowe survives. Their only son (Charles) died several years ago.
Headstone Kapunda General Cemetery
ROWE, Joseph died 02 September 1939
Mr. Joseph Rowe, 78, who died at the home of his daughter. Mrs. J.C. McIntyre Port Pirie, on September 2. was formerly a resident of Newtown, Kadina. As a young man he left Yorke Peninsula for Western Australia, where he worked on many of the early gold
fields. Returning to South Australia, he was engaged in underground work for the Wallaroo and Moonta Mining Company, and continued in that employment until the closing of the mines. His wife died five years ago and early last year he went to Port Pirie.
Besides the daughter with whom he had been living he leaves a son. Mr. A. J. Rowe of Ungarra.
ROWE, Peter died 29 March 1906
Mr. Peter Rowe died at his residence, Torrens-road, Ovingham, last evening. He was m his 90th year, and came to South
Australia 66 years ago. For many years, in the early days, he carried on business as a farmer. He managed to secure a competency, and had lived a retired life for some time. Mrs. Rowe died eleven years ago. There is a grown-up family
ROWE, R Eustace
The death occurred in Melbourne, on Tuesday of Mr. R. Eustace Rowe, only son of the late P. F. and Adelaide Rowe, of Goodwood, at the age of 43. Mr. Rowe was on the staff of the Queensland Insurance Company in Adelaide for a number of years. He was transferred to Melbourne, where he subsequently entered into business on his own account. He left a widow and daughter.
ROWELL, John Edward died 05 September 1928
MR. J.E. ROWELL
DEATH AT LOCKLEYS
Mr. John Edward Rowell whose death at his residence Rowells Road, Lockleys, on Wednesday was announced yesterday, was the eldest son of Mr. John Rowell, of Cambridge, England, where Mr. J.E. Rowell was born on April 12, 1848. He came to South Australia with his parents and brother (Colonel James Rowell) in the Alba Maria in 1854, the family going to Brown Hill Creek. Mr. Rowell senior was occupied as gardener for Dr. Wright of Lockleys, who resided on a portion of Sir James Hurtle Fisher's Lockleys Estate. Fruit and vegetables were chief products in those early days, and Mr. J.E. Rowell assisted his father, who subsequently bought the garden property from Dr. Wright. When Mr. Rowell Senior died 1893 the garden and homestead came into the possesion of Mr. J.E. Rowell, and he had resided there ever since. The garden was one of renown, having the greatest variety of grapes and other fruits in the state. The grapes took many prizes at Adelaide Shows for a number of years. Messrs. Rowell & Sons produced much local wine in the early days from their products.The name Rowell in Military circles is a house hold word, and Mr. J.E. Rowell assisted in no small way in upholding the traditions of the family in the early days. He joined the Adelaide Cavalry in 1880 as a trooper and when this body was formed into the Adelaide Lancers, Corporal Rowell did good work. This troop was afterwards known as the 16th. Light Horse. Mr. Rowell gained his Lieutenancy in the Mounted Rifles on July 13 1898 and Captaincy at a later date, with which commissioned he was placed on the retired list.In 1897 he was selected to accompany the contingent sent to the Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in London.He was a good rifle shot and was a member of the Mounted Rifle Club and the Military Club. He took an active interest in the doing of the Royal Agricultural Society having joined that body in the early days. He won a great number of prizes in the fruit and vegetable sections, and was a prominent figure at every show. In the West Torrens District Council his name goes back to the early days and he was chairman for a number of years and represented the Council in the District Council Association. In Lodge work he was a member of the New Thebarton Lodge U.A.O.D. and rose to the office of Grand President, and for many years was secretar and treasurer. He was a member of the Fulham Methodist Church holding important offices and on the building of the Brooklyn Park Methodist Church became the leading spirit in all its activities. Mr. Rowells scholastic days were spent at Mr. Watsons Private School at Thebarton and later at Mr. Holmes School at Fulham, which was held in a leanto at the local Methodist Church. He was married twice. His first wife was Miss Mary Broadfoot of Adelaide who died in 1887. In 1890 he married Miss Alice Harriett Davis, eldest daughter of Mr. Fred C. Davis, nurseryman and fruit grower of Moore Farm, Fulham. His eldest son Colonel Frank Rowell died in the evactuation of Gallipoli. Captain H.E. Rowell his youngest son, served in France. His widow is living in Lockleys. The surviving family are:- Mr. Thomas Rowell Auditor- General of Railways and Harbours in South Africa and Captain H.E. Rowell of Lockleys, Mrs. Frank H. Butterfield of Fulham and Miss Ruby Rowell of Lockleys. Colonel James Rowell C.B. of Lockleys and Mr. Fred Rowell of Sydney, are brothers.
ROWLEY, Amos Arnold Longley died 03 May 1944
Mr. Amos Arnold Longley Rowley 78, of Heywood avenue, Unley Park, who died recently, played a prominent part in the social and
sporting life of South Australia at the end of the last century and the beginning of this. He was closely associated with the growth of ten nis in South Australia, and held several executive offices in the SA Lawn Tennis Association, including that of vice-president. He
played in many tournaments, both interstate and in England. In 1888 he took part in the first interstate lacrosse match in Australia, played between Victorian and South Australian teams. He had & fine tenor voice and sang in public throughout Australia. He was a past chairman of the Adelaide Orpheus Society. An active Freemason. Mr. Rowley was a past Deputy Grand Master, and chairman of the Freemasons Hall Trust. For several years he was honorary secretary of the Royal Institution for the Blind, of which he was also vice-president and honorary treasurer. During the last war. he was asosciated with Sir Nicholas Lockyer as deputy controller of the AIF Garrison Institute and Canteen Association. As representative of the bequest of the late Sir Samuel McCaughey, be was a member of the Board of Repatriation for the Education of Deceased Soldiers' Children. He was also a past president of the Prince Alfred College Old Collegians' Association
ROWLEY, Stanley Thomas died 05 June 1916
PRIVATE S. ROWLEY.
Kangarilla, June 6.
Deep regret was felt to-day when it became known that Private Stanley Rowley had died during the night from pneumonia. Private Rowley was tendered a farewell social on Saturday night. Deep sympathy is felt for the bereaved parents, who have two sons in camp.
ROWNTREE, Nathan Kirk died 08 April 1931
Mr. Nathan Kirk Rowntree, whose death was notified in "The Advertiser"recently, was born at Wetheral, England, in 1859. At the age of 24 he came to South Australia in the ship John Elder, and soon after worked on a farm near Maitland. About tnree years later he returned to the homeland, and married Miss Rachel Irving, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Irving, of Carlisle, at St. John's Church. They arrived in South Australia on the R.M.S. Orient in May, 1886, and in June took up land near Ardrossan,which they farmed successfully until Mr. Rowntree's death. They had a family of six sons and four daughters, all of whom survive, except the eldest son, Alfred, who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War. Mrs.Rowntree also survives her husband.
RULE, Ida Julia died 19 May 1927
Mrs. William Rule, a highly esteemed resident of Burra, passed away on Thursday, May 19th. The deceased lady who was born at Redruth, Burra, was the daughter (Ida) of the late Mr. and Mrs. A. Topperwein of a very old Burra family. She married Mr. William Rule, son of the late James Rule, blacksmith, of Aberdeen. During the war Mrs. Rule was a good worker and a member of the Soldiers' Aid Society. The death of her son, Lieut. Essen Rule, whilst on active service was a great blow and one .from which she never fully recovered. For some time past Mrs. Rule has been in ill-health and her death was not unexpected. Besides the widower she leaves two sons, Mr. W. Rule, Hanson; Mr. Phil Rule, Burra; one daughter, Mrs. Les Hopcraft, Adelaide; and four grandchildren.
RUMBELOW, Cain Jellif died 22 April 1952
Mr. Cain Jeliff Rumbelow who died suddenly at Encounter Bay, was born there 74 years ago and lived in the district for the whole of his life. He was a member of a well-known family who had fished in waters along the South Coast for more than a century. He was for many years actively associated with the local New Year's Day aquatic sports and the cricket club.
Headstone Victor Harbor General Cemetery
RUSH, Edgar Stanley died 17 September 1948
Mr. Edgar S Rush, of Gilberton, who died suddenly recently was the licensee of the OG Hotel, Klemzig, for 25 years. He leaves a widow, Mrs. Nellie Rush, and a daughter Audrey (Mrs. Harding).
Headstone North Road Anglican Cemetery
RUSK, Ann died 07 January 1906
Mrs. Ann Rusk, one of the oldest residents of Walkerville, died on Sunday, aged 93 years. She arrived in Adelaide from Ireland with her husband in 1848. She left two sons, (Mr. Robert Rusk, of Walkerville, and Mr. Richard Rusk, of Port Wakefield) and two daughters (Mrs. Miller, of Leederville, Perth, and Mrs. Drew, of College Park). There are also 16 grandchildren.
RUSSELL, Alexander died 22 August 1887
Death of Mr. Alexander RUSSELL - Early on Monday, August 22, Mr. Alexander Russell, of the Criterion Hotel, Port Adelaide, died of heart disease and paralysis at the age of 51. Mr Russell was an old and respected resident of the Port. He came to the colony in the ship Black Wall about the year I860. He was a shipwright by trade, and for some time after his arrival followed his calling. He then took the Duke of Wellington Hotel and left that house to take the Exchange. After some years he went on a trip to England, and on returning took the British Hotel, from which he retired about seven years ago. The deceased then took another passage to Europe, and on returning became interested in the Criterion Hotel, ultimately entering that house. He remained there until his death. At Port Adelaide many flags were half-masted as a mark of the general respect in which, the deceased gentleman was held. He leaves a large family.
RUSSELL, Alice died 30 April 1951
Miss Alice Russell, who died at her residence, St Raymonds Unley road. Unley, recently, had lived in the district for more
than 50 years. She was an ardent and practical supporter of many charities and an enthusiastic worker for the Red Cross,
with which she had a Iong association. Miss Russell was & sister of Drs. H. H. E. and E. A. H. Russell.
RUSSELL, Barbara died 08 April 1931
Mrs. Barbara Russell, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. G. Simmonds, Risdon Park, on April 8, was born in England in 1849. She came to South Australia in the ship Octavia with her parents when six years of age. In 1871, at St. Paul's Church, Port Adelaide, she was married by the Rev S. Green, to Mr. Arthur Russell, a hotel proprietor at Port Adelaide and Cowell, and later at Norseman, W.A. From there he removed to Solomontown, where, with Mrs. Russell, he kept the Globe HoteL Mr. Russell, who represented the Solomontown Ward in the Port Pirie Town Council, died in 1907. Since then Mrs. Russell has spent most of her time with relatives in Port Pirie. Three sons and two daughters are left— Messrs. R. F. Russell (Semaphore), V. A. Russell (Birkenhead). and T. A. Russell (Western Australia). Mrs. G. Simmonds (Port Pirie), and Mrs. S. C Marshall (Sydney). A son, Mr. H. E. Russell, and a daughter, Mrs. A. B. Forgan. predeceased her.
Headstone Port Pirie Cemetery
RUSSELL, Patrick Thomas died 20 June 1902
The Ven. Archdeacon Russell, one of the most revered of the priests of the Catholic Church in South Australia, died on Friday morning at his residence Glenelg. The archdeacon had be an invalid for the last two years, and had to be wheeled about in a bath-chair latterly. Dr. Gunson was in constant attendance on him, and saw him a few hours before his death, which was not at all unexpected. The deceased gentleman was by far the oldest priest in the archdiocese. He had three times held the office of vicar general, the last appointment being made on July 24, 1S95. Archdeacon Russell was born in Ireland in 1825, and had been connected with the diocese since 1858, when he arrived in the colony, having been ordained two years previously at the College of the Propagandaiby Cardinal Patrizi, Cardinal-Vicar of Rome. He was stationed at West-terrace till 1869, then for four years at North Adelaide, and afterwards from 1883 at West-terrace again. He was made archdeacon in 1886, having previously occupied the post of vicar-general after the death of Father Smythe, in 1869, till the return of Bishop Shiels from Europe. The archdeacon then resigned the vicar-generalship and went home in 1871 visiting his friends in Ireland, and also going to Rome. He returned in 1873, and ten years later was appointed to the position which he held until the end of June 1889, when ill-health caused him to again send in his resignation. In the hope the sea air would prove beneficial to him. Archdeacon Russell was appointed Glenelg, and a welcome change was noticed. During his previous terms of office the Venerable Archdeacon showed that he was a most able administrator, with a marked capacity for business.
Honorah Ryan, eldest daughter of the late Timothy and Ellen Quirke, of Hammond, SA, who died recently, was born at Milltown,
County Kerry, Ireland, in 1854, and came to Australia with her parents in the ship Lady Anne in 1857. At the age of 25 she went to
Wilcannia, and the following year married Francis Augus tus Ryan, who died in 1896. There were three sons and four daughters of the marriage. One son, Sgt. F. J. Ryan, was killed in action in France in 1917.
RYAN, John William died 23 November 1931
Mr. John William Ryan, who died suddenly at Kensington Park, was a native Of Ballinabranna, Co. Carlow, Ireland, and was born in 1862. Arriving in South Australia in 1887, he opened a general store at Hammond, which he conducted until 1923, when he
removed with his family to Kensington Park. He started a grocery business in that year, and carried it on until his death. Mr. Ryan married Miss Catherine Cecily Lucy (who survives him). He leaves four sons— Messrs. Patrick William, John Benedict, Leo Francis, and Joseph Lawrence Ryan—and six daughters—Mesdames Lucy Sexton (Norwood), and Catherine O'Shea (Wayville), and Misses Eileen, Gertrude, Ursula, and Stella Ryan.
RYAN, Robert died 09 December 1910
Mr. Robert Ryan died in the North Adelaide Hospital on Friday. The deceased was highly respected, and for many years had held the position of councillor of the Athelstone ward in the Campbelltown District Council. About 12 months ago he retired from active work, having leased his garden, on account of ill-health. He left a widow.
RYDER, Thomas Stephen died 12 February 1948
Thomas Stephen Ryder, who died recently at Mount Gambler after a long illness, was well- known in South Australia as a
sheep farmer and racehorse breeder. He was 77 and leaves a widow and a son, both living at Mount Gambler. Mr. Ryder,
who was bom at Nairne, began sheep farming at Kingston. Later he moved to Conmurra at Reedy Creek, and then to Mount
Gambier, where he owned part of the Mingbool station. Mr. Ryder raced his own horses, one of the most successful being Standby, a black stallion, which was successful in many Adelaide races about 1924, and was second in the Melbourne Cup of that year.