July 3.- Much regret was felt when it became known that Trooper Herbert Taeuber, second son of Mr. H. O. Taeuber. of Tailem Bend, who left with the last contingent for South Africa, had succumbed at Durban on June 23 to a severe cold, contracted on the voyage. The deceased was an active member of the Church of England, and was highly respected.
TAGGART, Catherine died 28 December 1911
Mrs. Catherine Taggart, wife of J. J. Taggart, baker, of Port-road. Hindmarsh, died suddenly at Stansbury on Thursday. She and Mr. Taggart went to visit one of her daughters at Stansbury, and just before the steamer left on the return trip Mrs. Taggart was taken ill on the jetty and soon expired. She was 56 years old, and had lived at Hindmarsh 25 years. She had suffered from heart disease for some time. She left seven children and a number of grandchildren.
Southern Cross Pg 7 Jan 5th 1912 Catherine Taggart
The news of the sudden death of Mrs Taggart came as a very great shock to residents of Hindmarsh and District. The deceased lady with her husband JJ Taggart had been visiting their daughter Mrs Gibson at Stansbury and while waiting for the boat to return to Port Adelaide collapsed on the jetty and when medical assistance arrived life was pronounced extinct. Mrs Taggart was born In Poyntz Pass Co. Armagh and arrived in SA with her husband and young family 25 years ago and had carried on business on the Port Rd ever since. Some 5 years ago her health failed and Mr Taggart and herself took a trip to the old land and visited all the places of note in the UK. Mrs Taggart had 16 in the family of whom 7 survived 3 sons and 4 daughters. She also leaves 13 grandchildren.
Obituary Notice The Adelaide Chronicle January 6th, 1912 Catherine Taggart
Mrs Catherine Taggart, wife of JJ Taggart, baker, of Port Rd, Hindmarsh, died suddenly at Stansbury on December 28th. She and Mr. Taggart went to visit one of her daughters, at Stansbury, and just before the steamer left on the return trip Mrs. Taggart was taken ill on the jetty and soon expired. She was 56 years old and had lived at Hindmarsh 25 years,. She had suffered from heart disease for some time. She left seven children and a number of grandchildren.
TAGGART, John Joseph died 23 September 1926
In religious matters Mr Taggart displayed a keen and practical interest and as a member of the Catholic Church was one of the first to advocate the building of a more imposing Church in the district and in his quiet way was a staunch supporter in this direction. He had the satisfaction of seeing the present imposing structure on the Port Road completed before he passed away. He leaves 2 sons and 4 daughters. Mr B.T. Taggart, Prospect; Mr Leo Taggart, Hindmarsh; Mrs WH Leaney, Hindmarsh; Mrs Thos. Gibson, Bowden; Mrs F Schneider, Parkside, and Mrs F Taylor, Hindmarsh. He also leaves 24 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. RIP
TALBOT, Charles died 13 April 1903
Mr. Charles Talbot, who died last week at his residence, Salisbury, was an old and well-known resident of the district. He was born at Cambridge in September. 1818, and was therefore in his 85th year. He was educated at Barber's Grammar School, Cambridge, and having expressed a wish to go to sea, he was educated with that object in view. He entered as a midshipman in the East India Company's service at the age of 20, and his first voyage was in the ship Moira. Mr. Talbot spent about 10 years at sea, after which he took his passage to Australia with the intention of staying, only a few years. He carried on a milling business at Morphett Vale, and visited the Victorian goldfields in 1851. Three years later, says the Gawler Bunyip, he settled at Salisbury, and built the local mill, which he carried on for several years. About 21 years ago he was elected as clerk of the Munno Para West district council, and fulfilled the duties of his office with conscientiousness, tact, and ability. Until the Gawler South council was established a short time ago, Mr. Talbot had the whole of the locality under his jurisdiction, in addition to the present area of the Munno Para West district. He was much respected, and has left a large grown- up family.
Mr. William Talbot, who died on March 28. In his 75th year, was the second son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Talbot, of Round Waterhole (now Rocklelgh). He carried on farming with his brothers for a great part of his life. He was s member of the Independent Order of Rechabites for about 50 years, and a member of Rockleigh Methodist Church. Mr. E. H. Pym, a Past Chief Ruler of the I.O.R,
read the Rechabite service at the graveside, and six other members of the Order were pallbearers.
TAMPION, William Thomas died 14 November 1905
Mr. W. T. Tampion, who died at his residence, Gouger-street, Adelaide, on Tuesday afternoon, was a son of the late Mr. T. Tampion, a soldier who came to New Zealand with a detachment of the 12th Regiment, and who afterwards settled in South Australia. The deceased was a well-known business man. He possessed a kindly disposition, and his sudden death will deprive many a poor household of his friendship and quiet charity.
TAPLEY, John died 07 November 1919
“The ranks of the pioneer northern pastoralists have been considerably thinned in recent years, and they were further depleted on Friday last through the death of Mr. John Tapley, who passed away at Myponga, in his ninetieth year— just a week before the anniversary of his birthday. The deceased was the youngest son of the late Mr. Thomas Tapley, and arrived in South Australia with his parents, brothers, and sisters in the Rajasthan about1837. The family soon became established at Tapley's Hill, whence, in time, Mr.John Tapley proceeded to the north, and took up the Wartaka Station, about 20 miles out from Port Augusta, where he remained for approximately 60 years. Although he took no part in public affairs, he studied the trend of them with the closest attention, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. both on account of his genial disposition and generous hospitality. About 12 months ago he removed to Myponga, where he had since resided with his daughter, Miss Tapley. Throughout his life he enjoyed excellent health, and was active to the day of his death. He possessed remarkable eyesight, and never found any occasion to use glasses. He has left two sons— Thomas (manager of Wartaka) and John (Cowell)—and five daughters— Meedames R and H. Puckridge (Port Lincoln), A. P. White (Westbourne Park), and Nell McGilp (Unley Park), and Miss Tapley (Myponga). Mrs. Tapley died about 11 years ago. “
TAPLIN, William Arthur
The sudden death occurred recently of Mr. William Arthur Taplin at his home, Bellevue place, Unley Park. Born at Broken Hill
in February, 1808, he received his early education in that town and later at St. Peter's College. afterwards taking up engineering. He
joined the staff of Vrai Ltd. general engineers, who in 1919 became agents for the first Holt caterpillar tractors to be brought
to Australia. During 1936, Mr. Taplin became area manager of the company, but later became superintendent of the SA Tractor
Co. when the agency changed hands. During 1931 he began business as a manufacturing engineer, making replacement parts
for tractors, but he was forced to retire because of ill-health in 1941. Mr. Taplin .was a foundation member of the Underdale Bowling Club, and seven years before his death was a keen member of the Unley Park club. As a young man he competed in light car reliability trial, and in 1918 he accompanied Mr. Francis Birtles on his record trip from Perth to Sydney. He is survived by a widow and one daughter.
TARDIF, Henry Melville died 08 February 1945
Mr. Henry Melville Tardif 54, of Anzac Highway, Helmsdale, who died suddenly last Thursday, was manager of the Grenfell street
branch of the Bank of New South Wales. On Friday and Saturday flags were flown half-mast outside Tattersalls Club, of which Mr.
Tardif was a member. Mr. Tardif who was a returned soldier from the last war was for some years relieving manager of the
Renmark branch of the Bank of New South Wales. He leaves a widow and two sons, Bill and Peter (RAN)
TASSIE, Thomas Wilson died 01 September 1948
Dr. Thomas Wilson Tassie, of Broadview, who died recently at the age of 49, was a well 0known medical practitioner in the Laura and Gladstone districts. Educated at Prince Alfred College, Dr. Tassle enlisted soon after leaving school and served in a medical unit in World War I. He was appointed to the medical staff of the Royal Adelaide Hospital after gain ing his degree at the University of Adelaide. He leaves a widow and a son and daughter.
TATE, Ralph died 20 September 1901
The remains of the late Professor Ralph Tate were committed to the grave in the North-road Cemetery on Sunday afternoon
and the gathering of the University officious, students, and friends of the deceased scientist and his family was exceedingly
large. The Rev. Dr. Paton conducted a short service at the house in Buxton-street at 3 o'clock, and half an hour later the solid
oak casket containing the body was transferred to the hearse, the collection of beautiful wreaths and crosses sent by the University and friends being carried in the waggonette belonging to Mrs. Tate. The cortege, headed by the Chancellor of the
University (Sir Samuel Way), the Arts Chancellor (Dr. Barlow), members of the professorial staff, and about 70 students
all walking in academic robes, then moved towards the burial-ground. At the entrance to the consecrated enclosure the
students formed columns, and the Rev. W. S. Milne (precentor) took charge and officiated at the grave, the students lining the
pathway leading from the hearse to the graveside. The crowd was nice representative, including, besides the council of the
Royal Society, professional, mercantile, and other people in large numbers, members of the Ministry, and of the Federal and local Parliaments being included in the vast company, sho desired to pay a tribute of respect to the memory of the world famed scientist. Messrs. E. and A. R. Tate (sons), and J.H. Newman and J. McLeod (sons in-law), and A. Williams (nephew), were the chief mourners.
TAYLOR, Charles died 01 January 1902
On Wednesday two old colonists died at Hindmarsh - Mr. William Hosking, aged 87 years, who arrived in this State on August
13, I847; and Mr. Charles Taylor, aged 71 years, a colonist of about 50 years.
TAYLOR nee SHILLABEER, Helen Sophia died 09 April 1930
Mrs. Helen Taylor, widow of Mr. George Taylor, died suddenly at her home, "Sunny Brae," One Tree Hill on April 9. Mrs. Taylor was born at One Tree Hill 70 years ago, and was the second daughter of Mr. Andrew Shillabeer, of "Attyford," One Tree Hill.
She married Mr. G. Taylor 51 years ago, and there were 12 children of the marriage, 11 of whom survive—Messrs.
George and Cecil Taylor (Adelaide), Christie Taylor (Smithfield). Norman Taylor (Golden Grove), Peter and Melville Taylor (One Tree Hill), Mesdames Western, Quick, and Speck (Adelaide), Willison (Gawler), and Thomas (One Tree Hill).
TAYLOR, Sarah died 01 December 1936
Mrs. Sarah Taylor, whose death has occurred at Port MacDonnell, was born at Digby, Victoria, on May 14, 1851, and had resided at Port MacDonnell for 76 years. On March 18, 1870, she was married to the late Walter Taylor. There were eight children, all
of whom survive. They are:—Mesdames Mabel W. Hutchens (Port MacDonnell, Elizabeth Tooth (Allendale), Sarah A. Wallace (Narumbeen, WA.), and Messrs. Stacev H. (West Coast), Lindsay (New Zealand), John (W.A.), George (N.S.W.), and Edward Taylor
TAYLOR, William Arthur died 04 March 1931
The first man to enrol as a permanent fireman in Adelaide Fire Brigade, Mr William Arthur Taylor died on March 4, at Seaview-road, Kircaldy, after a few days illness. He was a native of this state, and was in his 74th year. For I6 years he lived at Quorn, and he was well known throughout the north, as far as Oodnadatta. For many years he was in the railway service, from which he retired several years ago. Mr. Taylor knew Adelaide in its comparatively early days, for when a boy of 10 his mother had a shop and boarding house near the site of the Theatre Royal. He was associated with the Labor Party for nearly 60 years, and took a prominent part in political affairs at Quorn, continuing an interest in current problems which began when a youth. He has left a widow, two sons (Messrs. Aubrey and Arnold Taylor), two brothers (Messrs. Thomas and H.Taylor), and two sisters-(Mesdamss Tieste and Fairley)
TEATE, W D died 05 December 1901
The Governor has received a notification from Cape Town of the death of Trooper W. D. Teate, No. 546, Sixth Contingent, of
enteric fever, at Kroonstad, on December 5. The stepmother of deceased, Mrs. E. Teate, Cypress-street, Adelaide, has been
informed by the Chief Secretary's Department. The deceased was possessed of considerable property in South Australia,
which, we are informed, has been left to his mother's relatives. No news of his illness had reached his friends before the
cable message announcing his death.
TELFER, Thomas died 22 September 1904
Mr. Thomas Telfer, engineer of the Government Export Depot at Port Adelaide, died at his residence, Semaphore on
Thursday night, aged 42 years. He joined the Government Export Depot as engineer nearly four years ago. Prior to coming to South Australia he was engaged in refrigerating works in New Zealand. He was thoroughly conversant with refrigerating
machinery, having made that branch of engineering a close study . Mr. Telfer was a native of Dumbartonshire, Scotland. He
was respected by a large circle of friends, was a member of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers, a Forester, member of the
Adelaide, Lodge, No. 2, S.A.C, and a member of the Port Caledonian Society. A widow and family of three-two daughters and a son survive him.
TEMBY, Henry died 26 June 1910
THE PEOPLE'S WEEKLY, MOONTA, SATURDAY, JULY 2, 1910.
MRS H. TEMBY & FAMILY desire to express their heartfelt Thanks to their many friends for their kindness and sympathy during their sad bereavement; also for numerous floral tributes. We also regret to chronicle the death of Mr Henry Temby, which took place at his residence, Cross Roads, at about midday on Sunday. He had n ot been enjoying good health for some time past, but he had been able to get about, and on the Sunday he was in the town. After returning home, however, he was taken with haemorrhage, which culminated in death. Deceased, who arrived here 33 years ago from his native town, Camborne, Cornwall, was 65 years of age.
He was twice married and leaves a widow, three daughters (Mrs F.H. Carter, Melbourne; Mrs J. Davey and Miss L. Temby, Cross Roads), and two sons (Messrs James and J.H. Temby, Cross Roads). The Funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon, when there was a large attendance. The service was conducted by Ensign Dawson, assisted by the Rev S. Forsyth.
TEMBY, Mary died 26 March 1897
THE PEOPLE'S WEEKLY, MOONTA, SATURDAY MARCH 27, 1897
Mr H.TEMBY and FAMILY desire to express their heartfelt THANKS to their many friends for their kindly expressions of sympathy and assistance during their late bereavement
TEMBY, Samuel James died 29 April 1914
The news of the sudden death of Mr. S. J. Temby, of Paddy's Station, Mallala, at the age of 48 years, was a shock to the residents of that district. The deceased was the youngest son of the late Mr. Christopher Temby, of Paddy's Station, and had been engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life. Mr. Temby was an active member of the Mallala branch of the Agricultural Bureau and served a term as chairman. He was a member of the Methodist Church from boyhood, first at Lower Light and then at Mallala, and he was also a trustee of the new Methodist Church at Mallala. The deceased left a widow, three boys, and two girls.
TEMME, Auguste died 09 October 1904
DEATH OF AN OLD COLONIST.
Eudunda. October 11.
Mrs. Auguste Temme, an old colonist, died at the residence of her son-in-law (Mr. K 0. K. Appelt), at Eudunda. The deceased lady was a colonist of 57 years, having arrived in the State in the year 1847. She first settled In Adelaide, where she married the late Mr F. W. Temme, a quarry proprietor, at West Mitcham in 1850. Her husband predeceased her by some 10 years. Mrs. Temme was born in Paderborn, Germany, in 1824. She left seven children-Mrs. F G E Appelt. of Eudunda; Mr. W. H. Temme, of West Mitcham; Mrs. C. H Baumann, Mr J Temme, Mrs. Scaraeder of Hahndorf; Mr. C. E. O. Temme, of Melbourne; and Miss E. Temme, of Adelaide. There are also 38 grandchildren. The deceased lady was known and loved by a large circle of friends.
TERRELL, Thomas Henry died 02 July 1945
Mr. Thomas Henry Terrell, 55, who died at Adelaide recently, won competitions at Ballarat on the euphonium and slide trombone, and at one time was a member of the SA Congress Band and the Adelaide Model and Glenelg bands. He won several State walking championships and held the Commonwealth record for the 25-mile walk. A reject in World War I he organised many athletic fixtures for the services. He was born at Moonta Mines. For many years he conducted a business in Victoria, and subsequently returned to South Australia. His mother and two sisters survive.
TERRY, James Gleeson died 04 October 1929
By the death of Mr. James Gleeson Terry, which occurred suddenly at his residence, "Stormont." Glenelg, on Friday, the State has lost another of its northern settlers. Bom in Youall, Waterford, Ireland, on May 1, 1851, Mr. Terry was the sixth son of the late Mr. and Mrs. P. Terry, who came to South Australia in the ship Bee, in 1858. He was educated at Howard's College, Woodside, and after trying his hand in several businesses finally engaged in pastoral pursuits. In 1890 he purchased Oulinna Park, Garrombone, and Benda stations, in the north east, and disposed of them in 1920. He took up Wirrawinna station from the Crown, also Coondambo, both near Port Augusta, and these he also sold in 1920, as well as the Vivian station, which he secured in 1912. In 1895 he purchased Bedford Park, a property in the Mitcham district which changed hands in 1911. Mr. Terry dealt in cattle on an extensive scale, and on one occasion he disposed of a herd which realised £30,000. On October? 1876, he married Miss Harriet Stewart,
a daughter of Mr. Alexander Stewart, me of the earliest pioneers in the State, and one time owner of Stewart Wells, Mungibby, Meredy, and Tuyaikilky stations. On retiring from station life 20 years ago, Mr. Terry settled at Glenelg. He was an ardent member of Our Lady of Victories Church at Glenelg, and was noted for his many charitable gifts. He was a member of the Holdfast Bay Yacht Club, and was fond of motoring, boating, and football. Mrs. Terry died last year. He leaves two daughters— Miss Ada Terry and Mrs. Terry-Grant, wife of Mr. James Grant, of Rundle street. Ada Terry-Grant is a grandchild.
THEEL, Ernest Christian died 16 October 1916
Mr. E. C Theel, of First-avenue. East Adelaide, whose death was announced recently, was widely known as a pastoral inspector for Messrs. Elder, Smith, and Co. by whom he had been employed since 1890. Mr. Theel was engaged on his duties at Calperum station, about 50 miles from Renmark, when he was taken ill with meningitis. He was apparently in the best of health a fortnight before his death.
He was closely identified with the Baptist Church, East Adelaide, which has benefited considerably by his generosity. He left a widow and four children, the eldest of whom has enlisted, and is in camp.
THOMAS, Albert Stanley died 31 July 1950
Albert Stanley Thomas, 54 years of age, died suddenly on Monday evening at his brother's residence, North Parade, Jamestown, while listening to a radio programme. He had arrived in Australia from Wales about six weeks ago and had resided with his brother and Mrs. Thomas, and for the past month had been employed by the Waterworks Department as a carpenter. He had intended
building a home and bringing his wife and family to Australia later. He leaves a widow, five daughters and three sons, all of
Swansea, Wales, and one brother. Deceased was a builder and contractor in Wales, and served in the Royal Navy during World War I., and was an accomplished pianist.
THOMAS, Augusta Clara died 01 August 1944
Mrs. Augusta Clara Thomas, who died recently at the age of 69 years, was the elder daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Julius Bottroff. and was born at Summerfleld. She married Mr. George Thomas, of Monarto South, in 1902 and lived nearly all her life there. Her
husband died in 1922. She was a member of the Lutheran Church. Surviving members of the family are Mr. E. G. Thomas, Mrs. W. P. Braendler, Mr. E. A. Thomas (Monarto South). Mrs. E. H. Thieb (Callington). and Mrs L. W. Frahn (Victor Harbor).
THOMAS, Edward Brooke died 28 July 1949
Dr. E B Thomas who died recently at Eudunda had been practising in that town for 20 years. During that time he was actively associated with most of the town's organisations. He was a returned soldier from the First World War.
THOMAS, Eliza died 11 June 1901
The late Mrs. Eliza Thomas, who died at East Adelaide last week, was the widow of the late Mr. James Thomas, of Kapunda.
With her husband she arrived in the colony at the end of 1848, and they settled in Kapunda, where for a number of years they
were in business. Upon the discovery of gold at Bendigo Mr. and Mrs. Thomas went thither, but after a time returned to Kapunda. They were afterwards engaged for a few years in gardening near Houghton, but finally returned and settled down to
farming pursuits near Kapunda. About l8 years ago Mr. and Mrs. Thomas retired, and lived in that town, where Mr. Thomas took an enthusiastic interest in municipal matters, and where he and his wife were prominent members of the Wesleyan Church. Mr. Thomas died about 10 years ago. The deceased lady was highly respected by a large circle of friends.
THOMAS, Hannah Mary died 25 June 1901
The numerous friends of the Rev. P. C. Thomas will learn With regret of the death of his wife, which occurred on Monday
evening. Mrs. Thomas had been an invalid for 12 months. She was a daughter of the late Mr. Benjamin Carlin, and her
mother still survives. The deceased lady was a native of Devonshire, but was brought as an infant to this State. Twenty
eight years ago she was married to Mr. Thomas at Port Lincoln, and with her husband had rendered good service to the
Methodist Church in the several pastorates of which he has had charge. In Sunday school work she had taken an active part,
and had successfully conducted Bible classes in connection with several churches. Her loss will be distinctly felt by a large circle of friends.
THOMAS, Henry died 17 February 1904
On Wednesday morning the death occurred, at the age of 72 years, after an illness lasting over 16 weeks, of Mr. Henry Thomas, senior warder at the Adelaide Gaol. Mr. Thomas had been in service at the gaol for upwards of 33 years, and arrived in South Australia 60 years ago. In the early days he went to the Victorian goldfields and was fairly successful. On returning to South Australia he entered the service of the City Corporation, and some years later joined the staff at the
gaol and has been there since.
THOMAS, James died 23 August 1935
Mr. James Thomas, who died at his home "Northfield" Burra on August 23, was born at Kooringa on April 3. 1860. He was the oldest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Thomas who arrived in Burra in 1848. He was educated at local private schools, and
when the Burra copper mine closed down he went to Wallaroo with his grandparents. There he gained business experience. He returned to the Burra district and joined his father and brothers on property known as Banbury. Later he got together a team of bullocks and went to Mt. Gipps beyond Broken Hill carting wool. Later he took up country north-east of Burra and engaged
in sheep raising under great hardships. In 1890 he married Miss Ada M. Gare, and their first home and property known as Martindale adjoined Ketchowla station. Later they moved to Tomkinson near Caroona station, where they had a hard time fighting droughts. In 1899 they moved to the Razorback, beyond Mt. Bryan, and afterwards secured "Wallinga." Mt. Bryan East, where Mr. and Mrs. Thomas lived until their retirement. One of Mr. Thomas' outstanding achievements in the sheep farming business was the production of fat lambs for the freezing works for 10 years in country considered of insufficient rainfall for the purpose. He was a member of the District Council of Hallett for many years, and also an active member and chairman of the Agricultural Bureau. A great lover of music he trained a boys' piccolo band at Mt. Bryan East, and one of his first pupils was a boy now known as Sir Hubert Wilkins. On his retirement in 1921 Mr. Thomas went to Burra and secured the property known as "Northfield," where he lived until
his death. He was chairman of the Burra Benevolent Society, and assisted many people. He was a regular visitor at the Burra Hospital. He was patron and a liberal supporter of the Burra District Band. He left a wife, three sons—Mr. G. Ralph Thomas. Of Hogback station. Mr. F. G. Thomas. Mt. Bryan East, and Mr. Alan L. Thomas, of "Wonnara,' Terowie. and seven grandchildren.
THOMAS, Joanna died 06 March 1926
The death of. Mrs William J. Thomas sen. which occurred at her residence, Aberdeen, removes another pioneer of the Burra district. The deceased lady was the daughter of the late John and July Thomas, who left Cornwall in 1848 for Australia in the ship, 'William Money,' and was born whilst the ship was crossing the Bay of Biscay on October 4th. On arrival in South Australia the family came direct to the Burra and settled at 'Three Trees' which is still in possession of the youngest son of
John Thomas. In her 18th year she married Mr W. J. Thomas and went first to Copperhouse to reside but shortly afterwards Mr Thomas took up land at Mt. Bryan where they farmed and grazed successfully for 50 years. In 1918 they retired and came to Aberdeen to reside. In January of this year Mr and Mrs Thomas celebrated the 60th anniversary of their wedding. During
their residence at Mt. Bryan, Mrs Thomas was a great supporter of the Methodist Church and 'Hill-drop' was famous for its hospitality. Her husband survives also one daughter, Miss M. A. Thomas, and three sons — Messrs W. J. Thomas jun. Aberdeen ; Joseph Thomas, Willalo ; and Edlie Thomas, 'Hilldrop,' Mt. Bryan and eight grandchildren.
THOMAS, Mary Edith died 26 December 1934
Mrs. Mary Edith Thomas, wife of Mr. John Thomas, of Maitland, died at a private hospital. Unley, aged 64 years. She was a resident of Maitland for nearly fifty years, and was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Teague. She was born at Black Point on December 9, 1870. Part of her early life was spent in Adelaide residing with her parents at Grote street, on the site of the present Tivoli Theatre. At the age of 16 she went with her parents to Maitland, her father taking over the Maitland Hotel and she continued to reside in the
town until a few months before her death. In 1889 she married Mr. John Thomas. Mrs. Thomas was an active member of St. John"s Church. Maitland, and for several years was secretary of the Ladies' Guild connected with the church. She also took a lively interest in all local movements and activities. Her husband, six daughters and six sons survive her— Mesdames R. W. Edwards. B. A Klaebe C. S. Gordon and C. Hilbig and Miss E. Thomas, all of Maitland. and Mrs. E. Oakley. of Malvern, and Messrs. F. G. (Prospect), J., B. M.. W. M.. E. T. and F. H. Thomas (all of Maitland) There are also 14 grandchildren.
THOMAS, Mary Jane died 17 November 1901
The death is reported of Mrs. Thomas the widow of the late Mr. William Kyffin Thomas, the sad event having taken place
suddenly at Glenelg on Sunday afternoon. The deceased lady, who had attained the age of 75 years, had a serious illness two years ago. She recovered from it, and for some time enjoyed comparatively good health. Latterly she had been feeling the burden of advancing years, and her health had failed considerably, but her death which took place on Sunday morning from failure of the heart, was unexpected. Mrs Thomas arrived in South Australia with her parents and other members of her
family in the Cleveland at Christmas time 1839. On January 28, 1843, she was married at St. John's Church, Adelaide, to Mr. William Kyffin Thomas. Mr. Thomas died in Glenelg on July 4, 1878, so that his wife survived him for more than 23 years. She is survived by two sons-Messrs. Robert Kyffin Thomas and Evan Kyffin Thomas the latter of whom is now on the way from
England; six daughters-Mrs. G. N. Birks ,Mrs. William Neill, Mrs. C. Birks, Mrs. Edwin Thomas, Miss Margaret E. Thomas and Mrs. G. Mallam, of Sparsholt, England 35 grandchildren, and 14 great-grandchildren. The funeral will take place at Brighton tomorrow afternoon.
Advertiser Wednesday 20 November 1901
The remains of the late Mrs. William Kyffin Thomas, who died at Glenelg on Sunday, were buried on Tuesday afternoon ¡n the Brighton Cemetery. The Rey. Canon Green read the burial service at the grave, and also conducted a prior service in St.
Peter's Church, Glenelg. The funeral was largely attended by relatives and friends of the bereaved family, including many old
THOMAS, Morgan died 08 March 1903
Dr. Morgan Thomas, who died at his residence in Wakefield-street on Saturday, was a pioneer medical practitioner of this
State, and in the early history of the Adelaide Hospital he was one of the leading doctors at the institution. He had lived
in retirement for many years, and those who knew him entertained for him the highest respect. Dr. Thomas was a widower.
THOMAS, Robert Kyffin died 13 June 1910
Few citizens of Adelaide were better known or more highly respected than Sir Robert Thomas, and a sense of personal loss will be felt by a very large circle of friends when they read of his death, which occurred on Monday morning at half-past! 7 at his residence, "Ardington," Brougham place, North Adelaide. Sir Robert, who recently made a tour of the world, returned to Adelaide early this year. He was then apparently in improved health as a result of his holiday, but some weeks later he developed ar ailment which baffled all the medical men who were consulted. The complaint, which was of an internal nature, developed se rapidly that some weeks ago his ordinary routine of work in the office had to be suspended, and for the last fortnight he had been hovering between life and death. He bore up through his trying illness-with characteristic fortitude, but gradually sank until the end came peacefully.
Sir Robert had an hereditary connection with the State which dated right back to its establishment, for his grandfather founded the first newspaper in South Australia, and printed the earliest "Government Gazette." Indeed, he arrived before the province - was proclaimed by Governor Hindmarsh. The family have always held an honourable position, and they rank among the most useful of the pioneers of settlement and progress. Sir Robert was born at Nailsworth, and throughout his active life had always been identified with the city with whose growth and development the people were better acquainted than he. He had a genial nature, which made him always welcome and popular in whatever society he, entered. When at the end of last January he received the honour of knighthood the chorus of congratulation was general and sincere. The distinction was conferred as a special recognition of Sir Robert's work in connection with the recent Press Conference in London, in connection with which he we appointed chairman of the overseas delegate from Australia, New Zealand, an Canada; but his fellow-citizens saw in also a reward for the services rendered by him to his native land in many capacities. His knighthood was the last conferred by King Edward.
Sir Robert was a comparatively young man, having been born as recently as 1851. He had a fine presence, and always appeared to enjoy good health, for he was full of activity as of kindliness. He was a son of the late Mr. William Kyffin Thomas, a former proprietor of the "Register,"' whom he succeeded in a similar capacity. He received his education at Mr. J. L. Young's' Adelaide educational establishment, where the late Right Hon. C- C. Kingston was one of his school fellows. At the age of l8 he entered upon a journalistic career, and while still stripling became chief of the reporting staff. He was admitted as a partner in the firm in 1877, and for the last 33 years had been closely associated with the fortunes of the paper, of which at the time of his death he was the senior proprietor . He was however, not a man of one groove but was always willing to give his help to such institutions and movements as h considered to make for the advancement of the community. He was long connected both with the State branch of the Royal Geographical Society and the Adelaide Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of the council of both bodies, and had filled the office of president in respect to each. He was one of the executive committee which raised funds for the equipment of the Bushmen's Corp and its dispatch to the South African war and he also took a leading part in the movement which resulted in the erection of the handsome national war memorials on North-terrace. Sir Robert was treasurer of the Old Colonists' Association, a trustee of the Wyatt Benevolent Association and president of the Adelaide Glee Club. He took a deep interest in the successful effort to obtain funds for the provision of adequate memorials to Colonel Light the founder of Adelaide, and he was prominent also in the endeavour suitably to honour that splendid explorer Captain Sturt. He had been a justice of the peace for 22 years, and in 1897-8 was a worshipful master of the St. Albai Masonic Lodge. When he returned from England this year he was asked to allow himself to be nominated as Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of South Australia, and his acceptance was received with satisfaction throughout the craft. At the half-yearly communication, held recently, he was unanimously elected to the position. He entered into all his private and public engagements with a hearty thoroughness, and was never unwilling to do the share of work which fell to his lot. He had a complete knowledge of newspaper work; and few men knew more of the history of Adelaide or of South Australia than he.
Sir Robert was married in 1876 to Amelia, daughter of the late Mr. Robert George Bowen, of Adelaide. Lady Thomas survives, besides three sons and four daughters-Reginald, Geoffrey, and Owen Mrs. Leonard Hack, and Misses Millicent Nota, and Kathleen Thomas. Sir Robert had one surviving brother-Mr. Evan Kyffin Thomas- and six sisters- Mrs George Birks, Mrs. William Neill, Mrs Charles Birks. Mrs. J. Edwin Thomas. Mrs. G. B. Mallam, who for some years has lived in Berkshire, England, and Miss Margaret Thomas.
The bell at the Adelaide Town Hall was tolled and the flags were half-masted on the Town Hall, "The Advertiser" office, and a number of other prominent buildings immediately the sad news became known that Sir Robert had passed away.
A service will be conducted by the Rev. G. H. Jose in Christ Church. North Adelaide, at 3.45 p.m. today, and the funeral cortege will reach the North-road Cemetery at 4.30.
The Chief Secretary (Hon. F. S. Wallis) said last night:-"It was with very deep regret that I heard this morning of the death of Sir Robert Thomas. My acquaintance with him extended over about 33 years, during the first 11 of which 1 was an employees of his, and as such and at one time as also the official head of the companionship, I was brought into close contact with him. In whatever capacity whether as one of the employees or a chapel officer, as an official of the Typographical Society, or latterly as a public man it fell to my lot to have converse with him 1 always considered myself privilaged to be in the company of a gentleman in the truest sense of the word. I know that I can speak for many who were at one time mv fellow-members of the composing staff when I say that there was something of the feeling of affection mingled with the respect with which he was regarded by us all, and I have every reason to believe that I am fully justified in saying the same for the employees since my time."
At a meeting of the Thebarton Council last night it was resolved to send a letter of condolence to the relatives.
THOMAS, Thomas died 15 January 1936
Mr. Thomas Thomas, head attendant at the Parkside Mental Hospital, died on Wednesday afternoon. He was 57. Mr. Thomas was formerly an outstanding footballer, swimmer and diver. He served with the A.T.F. He leaves a widow and a 16-year-old son.
THOMAS, William Henry died 25 September 1905
Mr. Willam H. Thomas, an old and respected resident of Norwood, died suddenly at this residence, Beulah Road Norwood, on Monday, the cause of death being heart failure. Mr. Thomas was a native of Cornwall, having been born at Penzance, he arrived in South Australia about 45 years ago. He carried on business at Norwood as a builder and contractor, and afterwards spent several years in the Northern Territory. The deceased who was 63 years of age was one of the founders of the Norwood Club and was a member of the Committee for 16 years.
THOMPSON, James Oldham died 30 November 1901
Mr. James Thompson, storekeeper, of Alberton, died in the Adelaide Hospital on Saturday evening, aged 66. For many years he was a member of the Foresters' Court Hamley Retreat, and he was a colonist of nearly 40 years.
Thompson, Jane died 1 January 1924
Mrs. Jane Thompson who died at Henley Beach last Sunday at the age of 84 years was a colonist of 77 years. She was a daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Turner, of Coromandel Valley. Her parents, who were natives of Lancashire, went to Finland, where her father started the first cotton mills in the country, and Mrs Thompson was born in Finland in 1840. Her parents went back to England, and in 1847 the family migrated to South Australia. Mr. Turner took, up land at Coromandel Valley. The daughter married the late Mr George Thompson (who was at that time platform manager for the South Australian Carrying-Company), and subsequently they selected land at Dalkey. Mrs. Thompson’s husband died three years ago. For 60 years she was an active worker in the Church of Christ and attended at the Grote-street, Dalkey, and Henley Beach churches. Six sons survive, namely, Messrs. George Thompson (police-sergeant at Murray Bridge), T. T. Thompson (of Franklin, chairman of the Waterside Workers' branch at Port Adelaide, and chairman of the British Football Association), W. T. Thompson (of Orroroo), L. Thompson (Western Australia), E. Thompson (Western Australia), and J. Thompson (Eden). The late Mrs. Thompson had lived at Henley Beach for 20 years.
THOMPSON, William died 10 March 1904
Mr. W Thompson died at his residence, Terminus Hotel, Glenelg on Thursday night. The deceased gentleman was born in London in 1837 and served his time as a gasfitter, in which trade he was thoroughly competent. His last work was the outdoor gas fittings for ilummation purposes at the Jubilee Exhibition Ground, for which he received the high commendation of the Superintendent of Public Buildings. He left London in 1859, and on arrival in Victoria was employed at the Geelong Gasworks, of which his brother-in-law (Mr. S R Scottock) was managing engineer. He left Victoria in 1863 for Adelaide, under engagement to the South Australian Gas Company, and fitted up the illuminations on the occasion of the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh. Later he accepted the position of manager of the Launceston Gas Company, and on returning to this State, again was employed at the Provincial Gasworks, Thebarton. In 1878 he became licensee of the Family Hotel, Glenelg, and afterwards of the Broadway and Terminus Hotels. For a while he was engaged in making out the census returns. Mr. Thompson left a widow and for sons and daughters, who are grown up. The deceased had many friends and was greatly respected.
THOMSON, Andrew died 22 May 1944
Mr. Andrew Thomson who died at Gladstone on May 22, was one of Gladstone's oldest residents. He was born at O'Halloran Hill in 1859, and was a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Walter Thomson. When a young man he settled at Baroota and went to Gladstone in 1907. He married Miss Eleanor Miller at Port Germein in 1889. His parents came from England in 1838 in the ship Prince George. Surviving members of the family are Miss Myrtle Thomson (Gladstone). Mrs. S. Ward (Kapurda), Mr. P. M. Thomson (Georgetown), and Mrs. H. Heard (Naracoorte).
THOMSON, Walter died 28 November 1882
Death of Mr. Walter Thomson.— A very large number of colonists, and especially those who have been here for a large number of years, will regret to hear of the death of Mr. Walter Thomson, of O'Halloran Hill, which took place at his residence on Tuesday, November 27. The name of ' Watty Thomson' has been so long and well knownin agricultural circles that it has become almost a household word. It was recognised as that of a successful colonist, who by his energy, shrewdness, and native worth, had raised himself to a position of great respect and authority on certain matters in which his large experience eminently qualified him to give an opinion. Mr. Thomson arrived here forty-four years ago, and during the whole of that time has been chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits— for the last thirty four years at O'Halloran Hill. Besides this, he has acted as a Government contractor for
the erection of telegraph lines, notably to the Victorian Border, Morgan, and Fowler's Bay, and at much earlier dates he supplied the deepers used in the construction of the Port and Gawler lines of railway. Mr. Thomson for a great number of years was a prominent member of the Committee of the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society, and his valued services were frequently called into
requisition as a Judge of ploughing, wheat, grain, &c, not only by that body, but also by many of the country Agricultural Societies.
Mr. Thomson was a man of keen perception, and was endowed with a very large share of sound common sense, which served him in good stead in his business transactions. Besides these more solid qualities he possessed a fund of wit and anecdote which seemed to be inexhaustible, and made him a welcome visitor wherever he went, or in whatever society he might happen to be. About eighteen months ago he suffered from a paralytic stroke, since which time he has been ailing and unable to transact business as of old. On Tuesday he did not appear to be any worse than usual, but in the evening complained of feeling slightly un
well, and had just taken some sodawater, which he thought would relieve him, when he quietly passed away. Mr. Thomson had
sixteen children, thirteen of whom, as well as his wife, survive him. Nearly the whole of his nine sons are engaged in either
agricultural or pastoral pursuits. His remains were interred in the Happy Valley Cemetery on Thursday afternoon.
Photograph courtesy of Neil Elliott
THORNLEY, Jean Margaret died 26 September 1902
Mrs. Thornley, who died at Trenabie, Largs Bay, on Friday, was the widow of Mr. J. H. Thornley, inspector of the Bank of South Australia. She was a daughter of the late Captain W. Scott, who represented Port Adelaide in the Legislative Council which passed the Constitution Act, and she arrived in the State in 1838, two years after its foundation.
THORPE, Charles Robert died 15 July 1893
Mr. C. Thorpe, a resident of this district for over 42 years, died at Port Lincoln on July 15, after an illness of some months, in his 61st
year. The deceased arrived in the colony with his parents in 1840 in the ship Fairfield. He was apprenticed to the watchmaking business in the early part of his life. He spent a few months at the Bendigo diggings, and at the age of 21 came to Port Lincoln and farmed at White's River for a few years. Thence he moved to Tumby, where he resided ever since. Mr. Thorpe, who took much interest in public affairs, was widely known and highly respected. He was buried in tbe Happy Valley Cemetery, and leaves a wife, four daughters, two sons, and seven grandchildren
THORPE, Henry Luke died 11 July 1917
In Mr. Henry L. Thorpe, who died on Wednesday, aged 80 years, another old colonist has gone. He arrived with his parents in 1840, and being of an adventurous disposition as a youth visited the Victorian goldfields. For some years he engaged in farming at Tumby Bay, but preferring city life returned to Adelaide, where he became an expert compositor, varying that employment with the exercise of his ingenuity as an inventor among other things of a washing machine. The problem of perpetual motion also occupied his attention. His wife predeceased him, but of his ten children three (all sons) survive him, two being in this State and one in America. Another son was recently killed in France
TIESTE nee TIVER, Mavis Charity died 03 April 1947
The numerous Burra friends of Mrs. H A Tieste (formerly Miss. Mavis Tiver, of Burra) will learn with regret that she met with a fatal accident in Adelaide on 3rd April. Mrs. Tieste was crossing Glen Osmond Road near the fullarton terminus when she was knocked down by a motorist and failed to regain conciousness. The funeral took place at the Centennial Park cemetery of 5th April.
TILE, William Henry died 31 January 1903
Mr. William Henry Tile, a very well known and much honoured Adelaide citizen, died at Henley Beach on Saturday evening.
He was born at Beaminsfer, Dorsett England, in 1832, and arrived in South Australia by the ship Caroline Agnes when 20 years
of age, and had been a resident in or near Adelaide for 51 years. Before coming to Australia he was apprenticed to a firm of
drapers at Oxford, and the first situation he filled in this city was in the drapery establishment of Mr. A. Spain, in Rundle
street. For a few months in 1854 he was employed by the late Mr. Lipsett, of Kensington, and then he entered the service of
Messrs. Goode Bros., afterwards becoming a partner of the firm, which was dissolved in 1882. He was, employed by Messrs.
Matthew Goode & Co. till August of the same year, when he joined Messrs. C. H. Goode and W H. Durrant in founding the
firm of Messrs. Goode, Durrant, Tile, and Co., of which he remained a partner till August, 1894. When Mr. Tile retired from
active business life a social was tendered him by the employees of the firm Mr C. H. Goode, who presided, mentioned that he
had been associated with his dear friend in business 40 years, and for half of that period they had been in partnership. During the whole of the time they had been together they had never had a misunderstanding. He congratulated him on being
able to retire with a competency. Mr. Goode referred to their early struggles, when Mr. Tile and he carried trunks of boots across the park lands at 3 o'clock in the morning. One of the other speakers declared that Mr. Tile had placed before
them a high standard of a true man, and he had been an impartial and considerate employer. The employees presented him with an address and a tea and coffee service, suitably inscribed, as a token of the esteem in which they field him. Mr. Tile, in replying, said he hoped he had never done anything unworthy of a Christian gentleman. He had been working 47 years, and thought he deserved a rest. He expressed a wish to die in South Australia. He spent a holiday in England last year, landing there on the same date in May as he arrived in South Australia 50 years previously. He celebrated his 70th birthday in Liverpool, and visited a number of other towns in England. He returned to Adelaide the first week in December, and although he was in splendid health during his trip, he had not been so well since his return. He became seriously ill three weeks ago, and grew gradually worse until death took place. Dr. Alfred Verco was his medical attendant, and he had lived at Henley Beach eight or nine years. He left a widow, one son (Mr. Henry J. Tile), and seven daughters-four living in Adelaide, two in West Australia, and one in England. His two married daughters are Mrs. E. Shroeder, wife of the manager of the West Australian Bank at Boulder, and Mrs. A. Moore, who is in England. His only brother, Mr. Lavington Y. Tile, lives at Victor Harbor, and a sister resides in Victoria.
TILEMAN nee BASEDOW, Wilhelmine Caroline Julia died 06 May 1931
Mrs. A. C. Tileman of St. Peters, who died on Wednesday, was a daughter of the late Mr. M. P. F. Basedow, and was born at Tanunda. She was 67 years of age, and had taken a keen interest in philanthropic movements and work in connection with the Lutheran Church in Adelaide. Mr. Tileman was the principal of the firm of Messrs. A. C. Tileman, who for some time were prominent importers in Adelaide. In addition to the widower, four sons survive —Messrs.Alec. Tileman, of Melbourne; F. Tileman, of Millicent; E. Tileman, of Brighton; and H. Tileman, of Adelaide. There are four grandchildren. Dr. H. Basedow. of Kent Town, is a brother.
TIVER, Harding King died 04 October 1928
Sincere sympathy was felt last week for Mr. and Mrs. Lance Tiver, of Redruth, in the death of their little son, King Harding. After putting up a brave fight the little fellow succumbed to an attack of pneumonia on Thursday last.
TOBIN, Mary died 14 February 1901
The district of Kapunda has lost another old resident in the person of Mrs. Tobin, Waterloo Plains. Mrs. Tobin was one of
the earliest residents of the district, and was widely known. Mrs. John O'Dea, jun., of Waterloo Plains, was a daughter of the
TODD, Charles Robert died 09 September 1902
Mr. Charles Robert Todd, late accountant at the South Australian Treasury, died at his residence, North Adelaide, on Tuesday. The deceased gentleman was the youngest son of the late Mr. G. G. Todd, E.I.C.S., and was in his 47th year. He became a Civil servant on December 28, 1868, and worked his way up from the position of junior clerk to that of accountant, an appointment which he received in May, 1891. On account of certain reductions having to be made in the working expenses of tho Treasury Office, the Government were compelled in June last to retrench Mr. Todd, who was a most careful and able officer. He took a deep interest in the Public Service Provident Fund, of which he was treasurer. His wife died about two years ago after a long and painful illness, and Mr. Todd had not been in good health for some time past. About a year ago he was compelled to take four months leave of absence. He leaves three children.
TODD, Robert died 29 March 1927
Mr. Robert Todd a well known resident at Port Adelaide, died at his home John-street, Davington, on Tuesday. Born at Tobago (West Indies), 87 years ago Mr. Todd came to Port Adelaide in 1874 by the sailing ship Limerick. He was employed by the Adelaide Steamship Company for many years, and served as a cook on the company’s vessels, some time also spent on sailing vessels. He married Miss Leedham at Port Adelaide in 1881. He leaves a widow, 8 children (Messrs. Elder Todd. Semaphore, Walter Todd; Ethelton; Ernest Todd, Birkenhead; Fred Todd, Davington; Clarrie Todd, Kilkenny; Harry Todd, Hindmarsh; Allan and Charles Todd, Davington and two daughters (Mrs J. Gillard & Miss M. Todd, Davington)
TOLEMAN, Gertrude aka Sister Mary Antonia died 03 July 1902 aged 21 years
Sister Mary Antonia died at the Convent of Mercy on Thursday morning, and her remains were interred in the West terrace Cemetery the following day. The deceased nun born years ago was, as Miss Gertrude Toleman, one of the most gifted students of the convent, and joined the order about 15 months ago, receiving the habit on Low Sunday. She was a most promising novice, and an excellent musician.
TOMKINS, Harry Percy died 22 November 1902
On Saturday morning Mr. Harry Percy Tomkins died at North Ridleyton at the age of 33 years after a long illness. Mr. Tomkins, who was well known as a cricketer some years ago, was captain of the Bowden Victorian eleven, and later of the Bowden eleven. Subsequently he played on the Adelaide Oval with the West Torrens electorate eleven, and was a good left-hand bowler. Mr. Tomkins took a prominent part in literary society work. He was a good debater and impromptu speaker, and was the first chief secretary of the West Torrens Combined Model Parliament. He was the financial secretary of the three Rechabite lodge at Hindmarsh. He left a wife and three children.
TOMKINS, Robert died 25 May 1912
Mr. Robert Tomkins, who died in Ninth-street, Bowden, on Saturday, arrived in South Australia in the Eden ia 1838 with his parents. He was born in Kent, and his father was the late Mr Thomas Tomkins, who for many years carried on a butchering business in Hali fax-street, Adelaide. The son learned the same trade, but grew tired of it, and applied himself to other pursuits. Mr. Robert Tomkins was 77 years old. He regularly attended the Old Colonists' banquet at Glenelg on December 28, and though in feeble health on the last occasion he was present but he had since been confined to his home. Had he lived another five days he would have celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of his marriage which took place in Christ's Church, North Adelaide. His wife was Miss Mary Webber, who arrived in this State with her parents in 1853. He had resided at Bowden for 40 years. He had been connected with the Ancient Order of Forresters for 48 years, and had passed through the various chairs . Some years ago he was a candidate for the district of West Torrens for a seat in Parliament, bur was not successful. He was an elocutionist and a Shakesperian student. He possessed a good knowledge of the history of this State, and could eloquently discourse upon it. He left a widow, three sons, Messrs. Alfred T. and Horace W Tomkins, Hindmarsh, and Mr. Clarence S Tomkins, Yorketown, four daughters Mrs. C H Coventry, Aldgate, Mrs. W Codlin, Bowden, Mrs. J Richardson, Brompton, and Mrs. W Eames Prospect, 15 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
TORODE, Charles Henry died 09 December 1902
The friends of Mr. W. C. Torode, the well-known contractor, will regret to hear of the death of' his eldest son, Charles
Henry Torode, which took place at his residence, Aldgate, on Monday evening. Mr. Torode was studying engineering at the
School of Mines, when, owing to ill-health, he left couple of years ago and went to manage his father's freestone quarries at
Murray Bridge. He remained there until two months ago, when he was forced to return to Aldgate owing to continued ill health. The deceased was 21 years of age and was a member of the United Bicycle Club
TORODE, Henry Kaines died 03 May 1904
Mr. Henry Kaines Torode, of Parkside died on Tuesday in his 74th year. Mr. Torode, who arrived in South Australia in the ship Navarino in 1851, formerly carried on business in Adelaide as a warehouseman. For many years he lived in North Adelaide.
He has left a widow, five sons- Henry, William, George, F, and Walter C., and daughter, Mrs. Harding, of Yongala
TORR, Mrs. (90th birthday celebrations)
Mrs. Torr celebrated her 9Oth birthday on Friday at the residence of her on (Dr. Torr), Brighton). About 50 of her 90 descendants, including six of her children, gathered at the house, and letters and telegrams of congratulation were received from all parts of the State, one of the letters being a graceful message from the Chief Justice. The day was spent on the beach, and in the afternoon the party were photographed, after which Mrs. Torr's ninetieth descendant ther fortieth great-grandchild was baptised by the Rev. Q. Lake. The venerable lady was born in Tavistock, Devon, in 1814, ard one of her earliest recollections is that of seeing the illuminations which celebrated the declaration of peace after the battle of Waterloo. She was then a child in arms. She came to South Australia in the sailing ship Hooghly in April, 1855, and with her husband, the late Mr. John Torr, went to the Burra, where Mr. Torr engaged in mining pursuits. He died in 1884, and Mrs Torr came to Adelaide, having lived at the Burra for 5O years. Two of the household treasures which were utilised in forming the photographic group were the pew which the late Mr. Torr occupied in the Burra Bible Christian Church for 20 years, and the stool on which Dr. Torr preached his first sermon.
TOWILL nee SEARLE, Elizabeth died 01 September 1929
Mrs. Towill. of "Pine Grove." Claypans, who died on Sunday night at the age of 84, was the oldest resident of the district. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Searle of Hemlock, Devonshire, England, and was born on November 12 1845. The family afterwards lived for some years at Bridgewater. Somersetshire. In 1864, to her nineteenth year, Mrs. Towill left England for Australia in the sailing ship Peeress with her brother Richard, her parents and the rest of the family. Messrs. William. James, John, and George Searle. and Miss Ann Searle followed them to Australia a few years later. On February 21 1876, Mrs. Towill was married at Barraba Methodist Church to Mr. William Towill by the Rev. H. J. Pope. In 1891 her husband took up virgin mallee land at Claypans, the couple thereby becoming the pioneer settlers of the district. Mrs. Towill laid the foundation-stone of tho first Methodist Church at Claypans in 1906, and up to a few months ago was a regular worshiper and was greatly interested in all Methodist activities. She celebrated her golden wedding in 1923. Her Christian demeanor won the love of all in the district, and her death is greatly deplored. She leaves & widower, two sons. Messrs. Elias Towill. of Maggea and W. E. Towill. of Claypans: and three daughters. Mrs. T. Dennis. of Franklin, Alberton: Mrs. T. W. Baker, of Broken Hill and Mrs. E. Dennis, of Woodville. There are 21 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
TOWNSEND, George Finlay
Mr. George Finlay Townsend a guard of the South Australian railways, who was killed recently while on duty, was the eldest son of Mrs. Marshall, of Stockport and the late Thomas Townsend of Peterborough. He served in the Great War. He is survived by a
widow, formerly Irene C. Wilson, ofCaversham. W.A. and four sons.
TOWNSEND, Reginald George died 14 April 1952
Mr. Reginald George Townsend, who died recently at the age of 35 at the Repatriation General Hospital, Springbank, was a popular member of an old pioneer family of McLaren Flat. He enlisted in the 2/27th Battalion, and saw service in Egypt, Palestine, Syria and New Guinea. He afterwards served as adjutant at the Strathalbyn convalescent camp, and was demobilised after six years' service. On his return to civil life, he served on the local RSL subbranch committee, until failing health forced him to live a retired life. He leaves a widow, who was formerly Miss Marjorie Baker, of Baker's Gully.
TREGLOHAN, John died 17 August 1899
TRENBERTH, Charles died 18 January 1907
Mr. C. Trenberth, who died at Unley on Friday, was formerly a member of the Kadina District Council. His remains are to be taken to Kadina for interment today.
TRENERRY, Victor Aldebaran died 14 August 1947
The death occurred suddenly yesterday of Mr. Victor A. Trenerry, of Cremorne street. Unley, aged 65. As a young man he joined the
staff of the South Australian Brewing Co., Broken Hill, where he became accountant. After many years' service he moved to Adelaide
and joined the staff of Moody, Winnall and Stace as accountant. In his later years Mr. Trenerry established his own business in
Trustee Building Grenfell street, as an accountant and taxation agent. While at Broken Hill he attained high rank in Freemasonry, including the position of chaplain of Barrier Mark Masters' Lodge. He is survived by a widow, Evelyn Maude, a son Rex, and two daughters. Misses Bobbie and Maxine Trenerry.
TRENORDEN, James died 13 April 1911
Mr. J. Trenorden, sen., of Summertown, who died on April 13, left one son (Mr. James Trenorden, of Summertown), fifteen grandchildren, and forty-three great-grandchildren.
TREVENA, Mary Jane died 21 February 1947
Mrs. Mary Jane Trevena, who died in Adelaide recently, aged 90, was the widow of Mr. W. H. Trevena, of Kapunda. She was born
at Littlehampton, where the early years of her life were spent. Later the family removed to Wellington. When 22 years of age she was married to Mr. Trevena in Kapunda where she spent the remainder of her life. Four daughters and one son survive—Mrs. Elder (Seacliff). Mrs. Rice (Colonel Light Gardens), Misses M. and E. Trevena (Kapunda). and Mr. Bert Trevena (Glen Osmond).
TREVITHICK, Ann died 17 June 1917
The death occurred recently of Mrs. Ann Trevithick, an old resident of Moonta Mines. She was, 78 years of' age, and was a native of St. Ann's, Cornwall. She came to this State in 1857, and for 12 years resided at the Burra. She then removed to Moonta Mines, where the greater part of her life was spent. Some months ago Mrs. Trevithick went to live with her son-in-law at Nalyappa. She had been in delicate health for some time. Her husband, Mr. William Trevithick, died about 12 years ago. She left two sons (Messrs. Samuel Trevithick, of Moonta, and William Treithick of New Zealand), and two daughters (Mesdames W. B. Polgreen, of Nalyappa, and A. Gear, of Broken Hil).
TREW, Henry James died 05 April 1910
Many old colonists will recall Mr. H. J. Trew, who died at Glenelg on Tuesday. The deceased gentleman, who was widely known, was 74 years of age at the time of his death. He left three sons and four daughters-Messrs. H. O, D. R.. and Rivers Trew; Mesdames C. T. Hargrave, jun., Edwin Crozier, Elliot Crozier, and Julian Ayers.
TRINNE, Friedrich August died 30 November 1947
Friedrich August Trinne, 87, who died at Kapunda recently, was the eldest son of the late Christian and Elizabeth Trinne, and was born at Tuckheim, Prussia. He arrived in South Australia with bis parents to 1877. For 30 years he worked on
the railways. In 1893 he married Miss Ernstine Mathilde Nitschke of Stockwell, and besides the widow the following family survive- Messes. Charles Trinne (Adelaide), Arthur Trinne (Kapunda). William Trinne (Kapunda), and Alfred
Trinne (Parkskle), Mesdames A Wilson (Kapunda), Stansboroogh (Gawler), A. Carlson (Whyalla), Rtanann (Hamley Bridge). Bits. Maria Verner who died at
Korunye, was the oldest resident.
Headstone Kapunda General Cemetery
TUCKNOTT, James died 03 June 1905
Mr. James Tucknott, who died at Port Lincoln on June 3, was one of the old colonists of the State. Born in Essex (England), in I831, he accompanied his parents to South Australia in 1839. For 12 years he lived in Adelaide. He watched the building of Trinity Church, and witnessed the gradual extension of settlement. In 1850 he visited the Victorian gold diggings, which were then attracting the attention of many South Australians, but returned a year later, and went to the west coast. In 1856 he married, and settled at Port Lincoln, where he remained until his death. Mr. Tucknott was the first member of the Order of Oddfellows in Port Lincoln. He left four daughters-Mrs. James Brown, of Trinity Bay, Mrs. C. Hammond, of Halifax street, Mrs. Sandrey, of Two Wells, and Mrs. Andrew Thompson, of Kapunda. Mrs. Tucknott survives, and is a resident of Port Lincoln.
TUDHOPE, John Murray died 19 March 1859
FUNERAL OF THE LATE ME. TUDHOPE.-The remains of this unfortunate gentleman were consigned to their last home in the Cemetery, West terrace, on Monday morning, the 21st March, and were attended by a large number of carriages conveying friends of the deceased,
including the Hon. Mr. Morphett, Mr. Hector, and Mr. Davenport, Directors of the South Australian Bank ; Mr. Dixon, Manager, and his two sons ; Mr. Wright, Manager of the National Bank . Mr. George Tinline and his brother, together with all the officers of the South Australian Bank, and many other personal friends. At 11 o'clock a procession was formed at the residence of the deceased, North Adelaide, and the whole moved off towards the Cemetery. The Rev. Mr. Gardner officiated on the melancholy occasion, and addressed those assembled in affectionate and touching language on the affecting circumstances of the case. The procession then left the Cemetery and separated.
The South Australian Bank was closed to the public until halt past 1 o'clock yesterday, out of respect to the deceased, and we noticed also that the shutters were closed during the day in the other Banks in the city. We regret, however, to add, that Mrs. Tudhope is in a very delicate and critical state of health, and suffered severely from hysterics during the whole of the time her deceased and unfortunate husband was being removed from the house.
TULLOCH, Esther died 19 March 1906
Mrs. Esther Tulloch, relict of Captain W. Tulloch, who for many years was a well known mariner at Port Adelaide, died at her residence, "Waverley," Woodville Park, on Monday. She had been ailing a long time. A grown up family survive her.
TULLOCH, Sarah died 10 October 1905
Mrs. Thomas Tulloch, who died at her residence, Hargrave-street, Peterhead, on Tuesday was a sister of Mr. S. Tyzack,
who provided the money for rebuilding St. Paul's Church, Port Adelaide. She was born in South Australia.
TURNBULL, Mary Fletcher died 08 December 1912
Mrs. Mary Fletcher Turnbull, who died at her son's residence, Franklin, on Sunday, aged 75 years, was an old and esteemed colonist. She was the widow of Mr. Robert Turnbull, who for many years resided at Glanville. Mrs. Turnbull had been bedridden for-a-long time. She came from Argyllshire, Scotland. Her eldest son was at one time the champion swimmer of the State. He is now a quartermaster of the Royal Australian Garrison Artillery in Western Australia. The other four sons Messrs. James, Robert, John, and Duncan-reside at Port Adelaide, as also do the two daughters, Mrs, D. Evans and Miss Janett Turnbull
TURNER, Benjamin died 10 September 1928
Mr. Benjamin Turner of Sydenham Road, Norwood, died at his residence on September 10. at the age of 64. He was a son of Mr. Benjamin Turner, of Payneham, where he was born, and where he lived for 30 years. He married Miss Jane Hunt, also of Payneham, 45 years ago. He joined the Police Force, with which he was connected for 35 years, during the last nine years being stationed at Marryatville. He was highly esteemed, and retired from the force about four years ago. He left a widow, three sons, two daughters, and seven grandchildren.
TURNER, Edward died 21 March 1912
By the death of Mr. Edward Turner, which occurred at Clifton-street, Prospect., on Thursday afternoon, South Australia has lost another of its old colonists. Mr. Turner who was 83 years of age, was a native of Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire England, and arrived in South Australia by the ship Canonbar in January, 1849. He was a builder and contractor, and lived at Brighton for many years, and was highly respected. About four years ago he moved to Prospect and spent the last of his days his quiet retirement. He left a widow, three daughters - Mrs. John Jenkins, of Prospect; Mrs. E. S. Roberts of Islington, Miss Turner of Prospect -one son. the Rev E. B. Turner, Baptist minister of Laura, and fourteen grandchildren
TURNER, Hamlet died 02 September 1905
Mr. Hamlet Turner died at Parkside on Saturday last, in his 62nd year. For nearly 24 years he occupied the position of rate
collector and assistant assessor of the town of Unley, offices which he filled with such tact and ability that his death will be a
distinct loss to that important suburban municipality. He held a unique record as an indefatigable laborer in the interests of
friendly societies. For over 30 years, with one short break of twelve months, he was financial secretary of the Rose of Sharon Lodge, G.U.O.O.F., and was a past grandmaster of that order. His connection with the Albion Lodge of of Rechabites lasted over 23 years, during which time he held office as secretary of a branch and was a past chief ruler, and also a district trustee. As a member of the Albion Lodge, Manchester Unity of Oddfellows, he passed through the district chairs to that of past grand, and be was also a Freemason. The late Mr. Turner was born in Bristol, and emigrated when a child with his parents to this Slate, 67 years ago. With the exception of a short time which he spent on the Victorian goldfields, he was a resident in the neighbourhood of Unley for SO years. Previous to taking service with the Unley Corporation he was for many years engaged as a mechanic at the Government locomotive sheds. The deceased, who was highly respected by everyone, left a widow and eight children -five of whom are married-and twelve grand children.
Turner, Joseph and Bessie
The Advertiser, Monday 29 October 1928, page 15
Mr. Joseph Turner, of Blackwood, died on Saturday at the age of 90. He was born at Swinton, near Manchester, to 1837, and was the sole survivor of a family of four who were brought to South Australia by their parents (Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Turner) in 1848. They arrived in the Barboo, and had their first home in Adelaide in a store on the site on which Tavistock Building now stands. Mr. Turner, senior, secured the lease of the land on which the family home was built on the banks of the Sturt Creek. Mr. Joseph Turner was then 11 years of age, and had to take his share of the difficult work of clearing and fencing the land, which is now farmed by his son. Two young grandsons make the fourth generation to occupy the holding. Mr. Joseph Turner and his father made two trips to the Victorian goldfields, doing fairly well. He also visited England twice. Forty two years ago he married Miss Thomas, of Cornwall, who survives him.
Elizabeth Turner, baptised 28 Nov 1851 St. Gluvias, Penwith, Cornwall, died 11 May 1936 Blackwood, buried Coromandel Valley, South Australia
The Advertiser, Wednesday 20 May 1936, page 23
A FRIEND tells me that the late Mrs. Bessie Turner, widow of Joseph Turner, of Blackwood, was a remarkable woman, with whom people loved to converse. At the age of 80 she wrote a book, “The Lust of Gold,” describing the history of her husband’s family. It appears that Joseph Turner, of Manchester, an expert at weaving, was engaged to go to Russia to start the first cotton mills at Tammerfors 100 years ago. Because of envy and intrigue, he had to leave the country. Coming to South Australia with his family, he bought a beautiful valley at Blackwood, and called it “Swinton,” after his birthplace in England. The heavily timbered country was transformed into one of the most productive orchards in the State. The property is held by the third generation of the Turner family
TURNER, Millicent Herdman died 29 April 1904
On Friday Mrs. Millicent Turner died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. C Jahn, West-street, Brompton, within a few weeks of being 93 years of age. Mrs. Turner was the relict of Mr. W. F. Turner, who died nine years ago. She was born at Chatham, England, on June 20,1811, and arrived in this State with her husband and three children in the ship John in February, 1840. After a brief residence in Adelaide she removed to Hindmarsh where she lived until 1850, when she went to Thebarton and remained there nearly 48 years. For the past six years she had resided at Brompton. She left five sons-Mr. W. Turner, of Brompton; Mr. G. Turner, of Nairne; Mr. C. Turner, Mr. H. Turner of Thebarton; and Mr. J. T Turner, Renmark - and two daughters, Mrs. J. McKenzie and Mrs. C. Jahn, eight grandchildren and 'eleven great-grandchildren.
TURNER, Sydney Morris died 18 June 1929
Mr Sydney Morris Turner, who died on June18, was born at Gawler, in 1859, and was the third son of Mr. Richard James Turner, who was a stipendiary magistrate at Port Adelaide and other parts of the State and the first Mayor of Gawler. He was educated at a grammar school at Mount Gambier and at St Peter's College. He entered the Government service in the Engineer-in-Chief's Department, and served for three years. In January 1880, he was articled to the legal profession with Mr H.E. Turner, a brother, the practising at Port Pirie and completed his articles with Mr Edward Thornton, a city solicitor.
Mr Turner was admitted to the Bar in 1886, and in the following year went to Jamestown where after practising for four years, he accepted the appointment of managing clerk for Messrs Fleming, Boucaut & Ashton, solicitors. In 1902 he relinquished this connection to take over the duties of town clerk in conjunction with which office he practised as a solicitor on his own behalf. Relinquishing this office in 1911 he continued to practice his profession until his death. Mr Turner was at one time president of the hospital committee. He was the first President of the Bowling Club. He was a Freemason, his mother lodge being the Victoria No 26 S.A.C. of Jamestown, of which he was worshipful master. He was the foundation master of the Victoria Mark Lodge, and one of the three foundation members of the Victoria Royal Arch Chapter, receiving the office of foundation second principal. On the formation of the St Peter's Collegiate Lodge he became a foundation member. Mr Turner was a lay reader at St. James's Church, Jamestown, for many years and filled the office of warden. As synodsman he was a member of the Adelaide and Willochra Synods. On the formation of the northern diocese he became a member of the standing committee and financial board. The esteem of his fellow members is shown in his appointment as diocesan nominator and church advocate. Mr Turner represented the Diocese of Willochra in General Synod in 1916 and 1921. He was a playing member and captain of the Jamestown cricket club, and first promoted the playing of lacrosse in that part of the State, where some of the leading players of South Australia received their initiation into the game. He was one of the pioneer movers in the introduction of football into South Australia under Australian rules, and was an active member of the South Park football club. He played for the old Adelaide, and subsequently the Adelaide Football club, which was an amalgamation of the north and south parks, the premier team of the year, included Mr. Turner among its prominent players. For over 25 years Mr Turner was presiding officer for Jamestown at the State and Federal elections. During the Boer War, as during the Great War, Mr Turner was to the fore in all patriotic movements. He prized highly the momento presented by the residents of Jamestown for his activities during the Boer War. He was the first president of the Father's Association connected with the Great War. In 1886 he married Louisa daughter of George Booth, of Norwood. His two sons, Flight Lieutenant Richard George Turner, of the Royal Flying Corps, and Corporal Harold Morris Turner, of the 13th Machine Gun Corps, were killed in the Great War. He leaves a widow and three daughters - Mrs F.A. Sweetapple (Jamestown), Mrs M.W. Dow (Kingswood), and Miss Turner (Jamestown). There are four grandchildren.
Mr. S Tyzack, who has donated 4,000 pounds for the erection of a new church of St. Paul's, at Port Adelaide, is well known by old Portonians, having been born at Port Adelaide in 1854. His father was a ship wright at Port Adelaide, and was one of the first teachers in the local Anglican Sunday School, having been a teacher in the old wooden church as far back as 1846. Mr Tyzack was educated at Mr. Dallison's school and St. Peter's College. About 23 years ago his uncle, who had large interests in coal mines and shipping in the North of England, died childless, and left the major portion of his property to his nephew. Mr. Tyzack went to England where until some months ago he resided. Recently his wife died, and he decided to pay a visit to his birthplace. Having resided in Port Adelaide for many years he has always had for it a kidly remembrance.
During his visit he has renewed old friendships, and has made several private donations while among his public gifts was 50 pounds towards erecting a new fence around the Alberton Cemetery. Mr. Tyzack will return for England at the end of the month by the Ortona.